The last month has seen protests in The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Greece over the use of ‘Macedonia’. Culture Trip investigates why a name is causing so much debate.
The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), as the country has formally been recognised by international bodies such as the United Nations since 1993, is a direct neighbour of Greece.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The country was created after the breakup of Yugoslavia in 1991. However, Macedonia is also the name of a region in Northern Greece. The use of the name Macedonia has cast the question of national identity in both countries, and engendered fierce debate over who has rights to the name.
Both sides draw from ancient history to prove ownership. The Kingdom of Macedonia was ruled by Alexander the Great. FYROM argues that Alexander the Great therefore represents the nation’s founding father. The former Prime Minister, Nikola Gruevski, erected a 22 metre high statue of Alexander the Great in the central square of Skopje back in 2011.
The move was seen as highly provocative by Greece, which views Alexander the Great as a core part of its own country’s history. As such, the adoption of Alexander the Great as a national figure by FYROM is seen as cultural appropriation. Some Greeks also believe that the name Macedonia implies expansionist desires on northern Greece.
This ongoing debate has erupted again as The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia renews efforts to join the EU and Nato, under their new left-wing Prime Minister Zoran Zaev. Zaev has been in power for less than a year and has reportedly expressed that finding a resolution to the ongoing dispute around the name is a high priority. The contentious issue of the name Macedonia has previously played a role in halting the country’s efforts to join the aforementioned organisations.
The last month has seen Greek protests in Athens and Thessaloniki as discussions around the topic began again. The Athens protest was rumoured to bringca a million people to the capital. Although on the day the number of protestors was far less, around 140,000, the tension around the topic continues to be a nation-wide grievance. Greek nationalists argue that the only use of Macedonia should be in relation to Greece.
However the sense of nationalism is strong on both sides. At a recent rally in FYROM’s capital Skopje, protestors argued that they were Macedonian and should be named as such. FYROM nationalists are instead demanding that the name Macedonia be given recognition by the United Nations.
The desire of Zoran Zaev to resolve this debate certainly offers a new sense of optimism. The Prime Minister has already made concessions, such as changing the name of the airport from Skopje Alexander the Great airport to Skopje International Airport. Proposed names by Zoran Zaev include Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Upper Macedonia, Republic of Vardar Macedonia and Republic of Macedonia (Skopje).
However with strong nationalist sentiment from both sides, it may yet prove difficult to come to a final agreement.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.