Athens’ former airport, converted into a sports park where the 2004 Summer Olympics venues for the canoe/kayak slalom, field hockey, baseball, and softball were housed, now serves as a major refugee camp. But this temporary use is supposed to change soon. After many years of uncertainty, it seems that the city of Athens is slowly progressing towards a clear plan for the future of Athens’ old international airport.
Up to 2001 when travelers and locals were landing in Athens, they had an impressive view over the blue coastline of Athens and the waterfront. But this changed when the Ellinikon (or Hellinikon) Airport closed to relocate to a bigger area near Spata, on the other side of the Hymettus mountain range, in preparation for the Olympic Games of 2004. From that point on, Ellinikon was redeveloped into sports venues to house competitions and events during the Summer Olympic Games, after which it became a spooky area by the sea. Today, it is the temporary home to an important refugee community, but with talks about relocating them, the question on everyone’s lips is what will happen to the old airport?
In 2005, an international team of architects, including David Serero, Elena Fernandez, and landscape architect Philippe Coignet, won a competition that focused on redeveloping the area. Their project involved the designing of a metropolitan park on the site of the Ellinikon Airport. It was further developed, in 2006 and 2007, by the team through two development phases with the planning organizations of Athens. In 2012, government campaigns to attract investors for the commercial development of the site put the proposed park to the side, although the local communities maintained their position in favor of the park project.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fast forward to 2016 when after 22 months of negotiation, it was announced that the Greek state and the Lamda Development consortium signed an agreement, which is set to be ratified by the Greek parliament, for the construction of a metropolitan park, in the vein of New York’s Central Park.
The project, called the Hellinikon Metropolitan Park, includes the development of a seaside resort of hotels, residences, and shops, with the creation of 50,000 jobs over ten years. It could give the city a major economic boost and contribute to the upgrade of the beachfront.
The project would extend to Vouliagmeni Avenue and connect the residential suburbs of Alimos, Glyfada, Argyroupolis, and Elliniko to the waterfront. The design focuses on highlighting the historical aspect of the site, transforming the buildings of emotional importance such as the East Terminal building, designed by Finnish architect Eero Saarinen, into buildings of cultural interest (an exhibition center and museums). One of the runways will be transformed into a long sidewalk, and many trees and local flora will be planted, providing a new green lung to the city overwhelmed by traffic. The plan also involves the upgrading of the beach and the creation of an aquarium. The site will also feature residential accommodations and a commercial center, as well as tourist facilities. The consortium aims to create a diverse open green space that will surely upgrade the quality of lives of Athenians.
When completed, the park should be bigger than all the parks in the city and will be one of the largest in Europe, in front of London’s Hyde Park. Finally, the Hellinikon Metropolitan Park should contribute a healthy injection of revenues to the Greek state reserves and increase the country’s GDP by over two percent. Since the country’s main revenues come from the tourism industry, modern infrastructures geared towards locals and tourists should clearly contribute to the overall economy while enhancing the city’s image abroad.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.