Glyfada, the seaside district of Athens, has a plethora of things to do, but not all of them involve being in the water. So whether you want to take a break from the heat downtown or explore ancient history, know that Glyfada has various activities to see and experience.
Why Yes, Go To The Beach!
One of the main reasons why locals and tourists flock to Glyfada and the other cities of the Athens Riviera is for the beaches. One of the best in the area is the beach at Asteras Glyfada. This beach resort complex features various venues, such as The House Project – Balux Cafe – a beach house where you can relax, eat, and enjoy the clear waters – and Ark, the new kid on the block. Open all day, Ark is a multifaceted space, functioning as a café, restaurant, and bar where you can try some of the best cocktails and delicious cuisine.
Asteras Beach, Poseidonos Avenue 58, Athens, Greece, +30 210 89 41 620
Treat Yourself To A Boat Tour
Why not take advantage of the Athens Riviera from the sea? Summersunsailing offers different options to sail across the Sardonic Gulf and along the Greek islands. Owner Thanos introduces you to sailing, fishing, diving, and snorkeling and takes you to explore hidden coves. Spend a fantastic day out on the sea or choose the longer excursions which allow you to discover the small islands nearby.
Summersunsailing, Maros, Glyfada, Athens, Greece, + 30 693 291 1900
Learn About The History Of The Universe At The Planetarium
Athens boasts a digital planetarium, which is an absolute must-visit. The Planetarium, with its 25-meter diameter dome, offers 3D virtual trips to the galaxy and beyond and also presents IMAX movies and various shows (simultaneous narration is available in English). Feel like learning more about the universe and discovering different aspects of scientific interest in a fun and interactive way? Now you know where to go.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Planetarium, Andrea Syggrou Avenue 387, Athens, Greece, +30 210 94 69 600
View A Bit Of Contemporary Art At The Blender Gallery
Now that you are acquainted with the art of ancient Greece, go for the modern works. One of the best options is to visit the Blender Gallery in Glyfada, which is dedicated to promoting not only local Greek artists but also international talent. Check out their website to learn more about their next events.
The Blender Gallery, Zisimopoulou 4, Glyfada, Athens, Greece, +30 213 02 80 597
Visit The Sea Turtle Rescue Center Archelon
If you’re interested in animal safety or an entertaining and instructive time, then a visit to the hospital for sea turtles in Glyfada is an excellent way to spend your afternoon. The small center welcomes wounded turtles which are nursed back to health, with the help of volunteers from all over the world, before being released back into the wild. Here, you can discover the world of sea turtles and learn more about their ecosystems.
Sea Turtle Rescue Centre, 3rd Marina Glyfada, Athens, Greece, +30 210 89 82 600 or +30 210 52 31 342
Score Some Holes
Imagine yourself playing in a vast and verdant golf course with splendid sceneries. Great, right? Well, get up and head to the Glyfada Golf Club of Athens. Opened in 1966, the 18-hole course hosted the World Cup Tournament in 1979 plus other major golf events. And even if you are far from being a pro, the course also features a driving range where you can learn and practice your swing.
Glyfada Golf Club of Athens, Terma Pronois, Athens, Greece, +30 210 89 46 459
View this post on Instagram
⛳️☀️ Ένα από τα μέρη που αξίζει να επισκεφθεί κανείς στη #Γλυφάδα είναι το γήπεδο #γκολφ Κων/νος Καραμανλής. Διαθέτει καφέ, εστιατόριο, γήπεδα προπονήσεων, κατάστημα με είδη γκολφ, δύο γήπεδα τέννις, ενώ μέσα στο δάσος βρίσκεται ένα γραφικό ξωκκλήσι! #glyfadacityguide #glyfada #golf #golfstagram #golfing #golfclub #glyfadagolf #glyfadagolfgardens #glyfadagolfclub #instagreece #bluesky
Learn How To Dive
Explore the beauties of the deep sea and learn or improve your snorkeling technique with Paterakis Dive Center. Let the expert instructors teach you the joy of scuba diving off the shores of Vouliagmeni by taking part in a day trip or simply enjoying a day out on the sea.
Paterakis Dive Center, Iras 32, Glyfada, Athens, Greece, +30 210 96 80 547
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.