Located in Athens’ northern suburb Kifissia, Semiramis Hotel is an art lover’s paradise. Culture Trip spotlights on this must-visit cultural destination in the Greek capital.
Semiramis Hotel is a celebration of modern art and design. The five star retreat embodies the lively aesthetic of its founder, Greece’s most influential art collector Dakis Joannou. Given Dakis’s commitment to modern art, it’s no surprise the first of his YES hotels was to be a spectacular visual treat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The original hotel opened in 1936, but was acquired and renovated by the YES hotel group in 2012. The new vision for the hotel was led by Karim Rashid, the award winning architect who is known for his bright, industrial designs. Rashid’s commitment to creating modern, beautiful environments is especially evident here, where no part of the hotel experience has been omitted from the vibrant makeover.
From the outside, the unique design of the hotel is evident. The facade is acid pink, lime green and neon yellow. Box balconies fuel the energising atmosphere and visitors are welcomed into the lobby through a vivid pink cube.
Inside the lobby art lovers will truly find themselves at home. A bi-annual rotating exhibition that displays a selection of works by leading contemporary artists including Jeff Koons, Sue Webster and Tim Noble. Karim Rashid’s iconic wave sofas juxtapose with candy-coloured armchairs and large pastel handmade rugs which lie over terrazzo floors. On top of these rugs are bright plastic tables too. Don’t be surprised if you fill up your phone with pictures before you’ve even got to your room – and then there’s the pool… but we’ll come to that.
The hotel offers 51 rooms, making the service and atmosphere pleasantly boutique while still upholding the hospitality standards of a larger hotel group. Whether you’re staying in the standard room, pool bungalows or choose to book into the penthouse suite, guests are continually treated to bold and highly Instagrammable design.
Floors are comprised of coloured concrete with rubber floors, ceramic tiles with metal. Colourful plastic partitions run throughout the bedrooms and bathrooms, and quirky modern furniture is in pastel shades. There’s also an electronic do not disturb message board which proves endlessly entertaining. If you are lucky enough to book into the penthouse suite or studio you’ll also be treated to a large, futuristic balcony with views across the city. Modern art features throughout the hotel, offering additional surprises as you walk around.
One of the highlights of the Semiramis Hotel is its pool. Themulti-coloured spaces immerses bathers in an ice cream world. It’s near impossible to leave this heaven and explore anywhere else in Athens. The pool itself is decorated with bright pastel tiles while pink parasols provide a vivid contrast. Modern white sun beds ensure the chicest platform to lie back and enjoy bright blue skies. Sipping a cocktail poolside feels positively cinematic.
Meanwhile the spa is also spectacularly decorated. Green tiles offset orange walls to create a calming atmosphere to unwind in. After a hectic day at the pool and spa, don’t forget to enjoy the artistic surroundings of the restaurant. Nolita’s dark and vintage decor provides a striking contrast to the modernist design of the rest of the hotel. Oak interiors and dark marble detail work with art deco carpets to ensure you feel truly transported after a day in the sun. The Italian-inspired menu and excellent wine list are guaranteed to please.
In short, if you’re looking for a cultural stay in Athens that will make all of your friends jealous, Semiramis Hotel is the one for you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.