If you’re interested in volunteering for or otherwise supporting a charity working with refugees in Greece, read on. These are some of the many organisations working to make a difference.
Athens-based Khora was founded by a group of people who met while working with refugees on the island of Lesvos. They seek to support and enable refugees in Athens by creating a welcoming and safe environment for people to eat and socialise together. The charity offers daily meals, legal and administrative support, creative workshops and education from their community centre in central Athens. To volunteer, send them an email or visit the centre on Saturdays for their volunteer inductions.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One Happy Family (OHF)
One Happy Family is a community centre on the island of Lesvos. They provide ongoing support for individuals seeking refuge, and strive to create a normal and positive environment for individuals enduring extreme and distressing circumstances. One Happy Family welcomes volunteers for flexible periods, ranging from two weeks to long-term commitments. Find out more on their website.
Sea of Solidarity
Founded in 2015, Sea of Solidarity is a non-profit organisation that was created to respond to the immediate needs of refugees arriving on Lesvos. They work to create humane conditions within the camps, and support new arrivals. Sea of Solidarity has also expanded their work to include aid for those in camps on mainland Greece, providing food and clothing as well as grass-roots education initiatives. Find out more on their website.
ReVive Greece is an innovative charity that seeks to empower refugees through education and training, specifically in the tech sector. The non-profit aims to facilitate integration and establish positive futures by helping individuals start their careers as web designers and coders. All graduates keep the computer that they trained on, ensuring they enter the professional world with the equipment and skills they need to continue. If you have a background in software development and are interested in volunteering, read how on their website.
The Schoolbox Project
The Schoolbox Project provides trauma-informed play and education to displaced children. The organisation converts existing empty spaces (such as shipping containers, tents or pavements) into schools, and uses solar power. These mobile ‘school boxes’ continue to help children around the around, providing support at a crucial time in their development. In Greece, they operate in Lechania, a four-hour drive from Athens. Find out how to become involved on their website.
Za’atar is a refugee charity based in Athens that focuses on providing support to single women, mothers with children and members of the LGBT community. The organisation has established a safe and supportive community for arrivals in Athens. Current projects include the ‘Buddy Project’, which provides emotional and psychological support for unaccompanied minors, and the creation of the Orange House, which provides a place for individuals to relax, socialise and receive advice and information. Find out how to volunteer and donate on their website.
Open Cultural Centre
The Open Cultural Centre is a charitable organisation based in Barcelona and throughout Greece. They work in camps throughout Greece, providing assistance and cultural education within and close to the refugee camps. This includes teaching and providing practical information and resources to individuals in need. They also host community events such as open-mic nights and sports activities. Find out more on their website.
A post shared by Open Cultural Center (@openculturalcenter) on Apr 2, 2018 at 3:42am PDT
Boat Refugee Foundation
The Dutch Boat Refugee Foundation works in Athens and at camps on Moria, on the island of Lesvos. The charity was originally founded with a view to helping new arrivals. As the situation in the camp in Moria has worsened and become more permanent, they now focus on providing long-term structural support to individuals stranded on Lesvos. Find out more on their website.
Help Refugees is a global charity that works in the most crisis-stricken refugee camps in Europe and the Middle East. In Greece, they work across the country, providing medical, nutritional and administrative aid, and ensuring that refugees receive critical support throughout the year. They also run a refugee rescue programme that directly works to save lives. To be involved or donate, visit their website.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.