Every four years (with winter and summer games occurring every two years), the world watches and holds its breath in anticipation of the Olympic Games, a worldwide event that sees hundreds of thousands of people glued to their screens or flocking to a destination to see the best of the best compete in a series of sporting events. But what are the actual origins of the Olympic Games?
Where it all started
The ancient Olympic Games were originally part of a religious festival held in honor of Zeus, the god of gods. The games included a series of athletic competitions between athletes of city-states of the Greek world, spreading from the far ends of the Iberian Peninsula all the way to the Black Sea region in Turkey. Held in the sanctuary of Olympia, in western Peloponnese, the games were first recorded in 776 BC. But the games in Olympia were not the only ones. In fact, there were a plethora of Panhellenic games held in different places in Greece during separate occasions, such as the Nemean or Isthmian Games.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Throughout the time that they endured, the Olympic Games included a variety of events such as races, wrestling, and horse and chariot racing events. Only free male citizens were allowed to participate, and no uniforms were needed. Indeed, athletes would compete naked, although the origin of this tradition is somewhat obscure. A fascinating fact that few people know is that Olympia was also home to the Heraean Games, a competition for women held in honor of goddess Hera, and it actually predates the all-male version. During the games, all hostility between city-states were put on hold until the end of the events, which was known as the Olympic truce.
The popularity of the Games, which took place for over 12 centuries, peaked in the 6th and 5th centuries BC until Roman emperor Theodosius I abolished them in 393 AD in an attempt to impose Christianity as the empire’s religion.
The Modern Olympic Games
It took over 1,500 years for the Olympic Games to return. The idea of their revival first started after the Greek War of Independence in 1821. The young nation wanted to reconnect with its long-forgotten past after over 400 years of Ottoman occupation. While Pierre de Coubertin is credited with establishing the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1894, which led to the first modern Games in Athens two years later, it was in fact, Evangelos Zappas, a wealthy Greek philanthropist, who first wrote to King Otto of Greece in 1856 and offered to fund a revival of the Games.
The revival of the Olympic Games took place in Athens in 1859 in a city square, though Zappas further offered to fund the reconstruction of the Panathenaic Stadium for future events. Unfortunately, he died in 1865 before seeing the new stadium. Further Olympic Games occurred in 1870, 1875, and 1888 until Coubertin founded the IOC in 1894. Two years later, the first modern Olympic Games under the auspices of the IOC took place in Athens, in the new stadium financed by Zappas. And the rest is history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.