If you love some good shopping, especially when it is combined with food tastings and DJ sets, then Culture Trip would like to introduce you to a monthly Athenian event called the Meet Market. This unique shopping experience, established in 2007, combines showcasing local craftsmanship and creativity together with some live DJ performances.
How it all started
Starting as a small Christmas market in 2007 in a now-closed bar, the infamous K44, in the vibrant district of Gazi, the Meet Market comes from humble beginnings, with only 20 vendors, including collectors, designers, and crafters. Thanks to the success of the event, the idea of a nomadic-type market presenting innovative products and concepts was born. Over time, the idea grew, and so did the Meet Market. It now settles in a new location every month, welcoming shoppers and allowing them to discover new products, meet vendors and exchange, test and implement new ideas in order to fuel innovation and creativity during the harsh economic turmoil that the Greek nation has been going through. More than just a shopping hub, the Meet Market wants to allow visitors to get away from the depressing routine and open their minds to new ideas and even party for a bit—even just for a few days.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A monthly nomadic gathering for all
As such, the Meet Market is a place where people come and shop and entertain themselves with live music and DJ sets. It’s also where they can try a homemade treat, drink, flirt, socialize and keep the kids busy or simply stroll along the stalls where vendors feature their crafts, be it handmade jewelry, clothing, crafts, and decorative items.
As music plays an important part in daily life, the Meet Market innovates with a non-stop DJ lineup during the event, with a selection of styles ranging from funk to hip-hop, EDM or jazz. Also taking place are side events, such as workshops and seminars on a series of diverse subjects, as well as live concerts, exhibitions, theaters, and even children activities, including games, arts and crafts, and puppet shows. Giveaways and raffles are also organized, where a lucky visitor can leave with a collection of items from every vendor.
But one of the reasons why the Meet Market has successfully passed the test of time is because it caters to everyone, from grandmothers to toddlers, youngsters, young mothers, metalheads, crafty thirty-somethings, and hippies. The market counts over 100 vendors that sell everything from handmade soaps, jewelry, sweets and treats, vintage clothes and second-hand furniture to vinyl, memorabilia, and even clothing.
The nomadic character of the market is certainly a plus, allowing it to keep things fresh and innovative. It also enables visitors to discover new locations or bars, since the market has taken place in venues such as Technopolis (Gazi), Bios, 6 D.O.G.S., The Blender Gallery in Glyfada, T.A.F., Kinono, Athinais Cultural Space and even Romantso. Therefore, if you enjoy shopping and discovering new things in a festive atmosphere, make sure to check out the market’s calendar on their website or their Facebook page to know where the next one will occur and make plans to attend this unique monthly celebration of local talent and craftsmanship. You don’t want to miss it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.