The Greek capital of Athens is teeming with things to do – chief amongst them the spectacular Acropolis and Parthenon. There’s plenty of accommodation options, too, especially if you’re looking to self-cater rather than book a hotel room. To make your search for a base easier, we’ve brought together the best holiday apartments in the city of Socrates and Zeus, from budget accommodation for backpackers to luxury serviced properties.
Urban Nest provides classy rooms and suites in a former shoe factory in Psyrri, a neighbourhood known for its hipster bars and edgy street art. All accommodations come with fully equipped kitchens, so stock up on ingredients at the raucous Central Market – five minutes away on foot – and prepare a Greek feast. Other perks of a stay here include a breakfast of eggs, fruit and pastries, in-room cheese boards and private tours of Athens in classic cars such as Triumph Spitfires or VW Beetles.
Dynasta offers modern, self-catering accommodations in central Athens, within easy walking distance of all the key sights. Some suites have juliet balconies with views of famous monuments and landmarks, such as Mount Lycabettus, Athens’ highest point. The apartments are a ten-minute walk from Syntagma Square, where the daily changing of the guard is a popular attraction: at 11am, the traditionally attired soldiers who guard the Hellenic Parliament change shifts in front of the Monument of the Unknown Soldier.
At Athens Stay’s Supreme Comfort Apartments, guests have access to a cosy garden, a basement ping-pong table and a rooftop jacuzzi. The accommodations are kitted out with everything you need on a self-catered trip, including sheltered terraces, comfy living rooms and fully equipped kitchens. The apartment building is surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants and it’s close to a metro stop – but if you want to see more of the city on your way into the centre, it’s a 25-minute walk to the Temple of Olympian Zeus or to the Acropolis.
MET34 is a great option for families visiting Athens: the Metropolis Suites can sleep six guests, either in two double beds and a double sofa, or in a double bed, two twins and a double sofa. The concierge team has also curated a special package of recommendations for little ones, including the museums, cinemas and theatres most likely to appeal. Suites are rendered in a luxury bachelor pad style – think sleek blacks and greys and shiny appliances – and are situated on a tranquil street in the centre, close to all the sights.
Athens Stay’s Homely Apartments are geared towards budget travellers, offering inexpensive accommodations in the trendy district of Psyrri. Rooms come with their own furnished balconies and spacious kitchenettes – but why bother cooking when you can just wander across the road and sample some of Athen’s finest gyros at Alexander the Great Restaurant? Guests are also referred to the nearby Grill House Central, where the gyros and moussaka are must-tries.
For upscale apartments in the centre, the four-star Mosaico can’t be beat. Located in Metaxourgeio, a burgeoning neighbourhood of art galleries and stylish bars, its self-catered accommodations come with all the benefits of a top-notch hotel – including a rooftop pool and terrace with views of the Acropolis and Mount Lycabettus, a high-tech gym and fitness centre and bookable extras such as private chefs and walking tours of Athens. Accommodations are in tropical-themed one-, two- or three-bed apartments, all of which have private balconies.
If shopping’s your thing, book a room at Monsieur Didot, a characterful boutique in the Kolonaki neighbourhood, close to the upscale outlets of Voukourestiou Street. Spread through an elegant 20th-century building, accommodations consist of six individually themed rooms, each centred around its unique feature – such as a marble balcony or an antique bookcase. Groups can book the entire first floor, comprising three linked bedrooms and a shared sitting area. Consult Mr Didot’s online guides for tips on everything from shopping to the best walks around Athens.
Located just 850 metres from the Acropolis, Athens Studios is a popular choice for backpackers and solo travellers looking to meet new friends. Social spaces include a lively sports bar, a burger joint, a rooftop boozer and a cafe. Self-catering accommodations are in studios and suites, even the smallest of which have kitchenettes and private balconies. Other useful services and amenities include a free breakfast, a launderette, a luggage locker and a good selection of guided tours and experiences to enable you to get the most out of your trip.
The family which owns and runs Four Streets Athens first made a name for itself in high fashion – and it shows. Thoughtful attention to aesthetics and detail is evident throughout its luxury accommodations, from the plush linen to the richly embroidered blackout curtains. Named after their location on the junction of four streets in the affluent neighbourhood of Plaka, the two- and three-bedroom suites are spread throughout a restored 19th-century mansion, which can be rented out in its entirety as the Four Streets Estate.
Book the Residence of Old Athens and you’ll blend in with the locals for the duration of your stay. Perfect for families, this traditional property features three bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen and separate dining area, a living room and a shaded terrace that’s perfect for escaping Athens’ blistering summer heat. It’s located in a quiet residential area of the centre, within easy walking distance of attractions such as the Acropolis Museum and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
To further indulge, check out the best luxury hotels in Athens or the best boutique hotels to book in Athens. Got your heart set on staying on a Greek Island? Discover the best holiday apartments in Santorini, now bookable via Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.