Although the city of Thessaloniki may not have a must-see attraction as major as the Acropolis of Athens, there is a rich diversity of sights to visit. From Byzantine treasures to the age-old forum, the Turkish baths or the fascinating bars, coffee shops and restaurants to explore, Greece’s dynamic second city has a lot to offer. Here is how to spend five days in Thessaloniki.
Start off the day with a visit to the Archaeological Museum, home to artifacts dating from prehistoric times to the modern day found throughout Thessaloniki and the northern region.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Luckily, you don’t have to wander far to find the second sight, the Museum of Byzantine Culture. The collection includes hundreds of finds from the Byzantine period, including mosaics, icons, paintings, religious architecture, jewelry and rare books. Take a break at the museum’s café before setting out to the White Tower, the most popular symbol of Thessaloniki. Built in the 15th century, the tower served as part of the defensive walls around the city, before being used throughout the century as a garrison, a prison and execution place. It was painted white and renamed in 1883. Today it is home to a museum and offers impressive vistas over the gulf, the city and the sea.
Once you are done, enjoy a relaxing walk along the waterfront, with maybe a small break at one of the many cafés bordering the road. When you are ready for dinner, head to the Ladadika district, a picturesque area by the port where you will find a plethora of restaurants. End your day in Valaoritou, the next-door neighborhood for a nightcap with locals.
Time to go up. The Upper City, or Ano Poli, offers a refreshing perspective over the city, and will certainly charm any visitor with its old-time charm, pretty houses and narrow roads. But there is more to Ano Poli than just pretty houses and fantastic views. The walls and Kastro make for good photo opportunities. Make sure to visit the Vlatadon Monastery, next to the imposing Portara, before making your way down back to the center.
Stop along the way at the Church of Hosios David, Prophitis Ilias and the picturesque church of Nikolaos Orphanos. Continue your exploration of Byzantine treasures with a stop at the stunning church of Agios Dimitrios, without forgetting to visit the crypt. Drop by the Alaca Imaret, a monument that dates back to 1484.
By now you’re probably starving, so head some blocks down to Nea Folia, a little place where you will find local delicacies with a gourmet twist.
Once you’ve replenished your strength, head down towards the sea to reach the Agia Sofia square, where the eponymous church awaits.
End the day exploring the area, where you will find a large concentration of cool eateries and cafés before reaching Aristotelous Square for an evening walk and some people watching.
Switch up the pace and forget the sightseeing. Since Thessaloniki has often been dubbed the gastronomic capital of Greece, take a food tour, which will allow you to explore the city’s historic markets and discover the captivating food scene.
Spend the afternoon discovering the Roman Agora, the Arch of Galerius and the Rotunda, before ending the day with some shopping fun at the busy streets of Tsimiski, Ayias Sofias, and Dimitriou Gounari. Make frequent stops at the many cafés and coffee shops along the way.
Get away from the city and visit the countryside, with a roundtrip to the archaeological Museum of Pella and the Museum of the Royal Tombs of Aigai (Vergina). This tour lasts a full day (10 hours) and takes you to the town of Pella, birthplace of Alexander the Great, and Vergina (also known as Aigai), the ancient capital city of Macedonia. The museum houses the artefacts found in the royal tomb of Philip II, father of Alexander.
If you prefer to do the trip on your own, we highly recommend you stop along the way at Ktima Ligas, one of the many wineries in the region. Given the long-lasting wine-making tradition of the area, this is a chance to visit a local winery, learn the secrets of the trade and taste some delicious wine.
Start with a visit at the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art on Egnatias Street. There you will discover over 2000 works of sculpture, painting and photography by Greek and foreign artists, including Mytaras, Moraïti, Skourtis, Fassianos, Delacroix, Moralis and more.
Set out to Navarinou Square, a hub where students and young people hang out at night. The area is filled with cool cafés and restaurants. We highly recommend a quick stop at TinT Gallery, on 13 Chrysostomou Smyrnis, the mecca of contemporary art in Thessaloniki. The Zina Athanassiadou Gallery, which specializes in contemporary and modern art, is nearby.
For a delicious lunch, the neighboring Spoon deserves a mention.
Continue your artistic exploration at Artis Causa, on Mitropoleos. At this point, you can call it a day and simply wander the city. If you feel courageous, end your peregrination at Kalfayan Gallery in Aristotelous, where you will get acquainted with art from Greece and the Balkans.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.