Corfu, a wonderful island in the Ionian Sea, was shaped by the mixture of cultures that consecutively dominated the area. Here the human element combines harmoniously with lush landscapes and amazing beaches. Many tourists are attracted by the beauty of this Greek island, leading to rapid growth of tourist infrastructure. Read on for some of the best hotels on the island of the Phaeacians.
Once the hotel of choice for Jackie O and Maria Callas, Domes Miramare still delivers luxury, but with amenities that surpass 21st-century traveller expectations. White-washed walls, marble finishes, mosaic-tiled ensuites with walk-in showers and outdoor patios come as standard; the VIP experience brings private swimming pools and jacuzzis that look over the Ionian Sea. Attentive service results in a bespoke itinerary of experiences, and this personalisation trickles down to the spa, where tailor-made treatments are delivered with prestigious products, such as Elemis and Codage Paris. For a memorable experience, board the Miramaretta for a coastline boat ride.
Consisting of four types of accommodation, Boukari caters to every holiday type. If you don’t want to be far from the beach, Villa Lucia has two-bedroom apartments by the coastline. Favour sunset-watching from the confines of your holiday home? The Villa Alexandra apartments have sea-view balconies. If you’re up for spontaneous adventures, stay at Hotel Penelope: the Vlachopoulos family, who run the hotel, have bikes for guests to ride along the shoreline. Finally, Villa Boukari Beach sits near the family restaurant, where a tasting of Mama Lucia’s lobster in special Corfu sauce shouldn’t be missed.
Situated in the enchanting Kommeno bay, you’ll struggle to find better views. Admire the rays reflecting off the Ionian Sea while swimming in the hotel pool, or while in the jacuzzi of the Panorama Bungalow suite. But nothing can quite beat the glistening sight of the night-lit bay, to be viewed while consuming the local, fresh fish of the day at RR-Rodostamo restaurant. Olive trees, fuschia-adorned white exteriors and a lookout onto the historic Ypapanti Chapel provide further social-feed fodder.
Carmen Bellot contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Looking for more inspiration? We’ve narrowed the best boutique hotels in Corfu, the best luxury hotels in Corfu and the most beautiful places to stay in Corfu – and they’re all bookable on Culture Trip. Read our guide and discover where to stay in Corfu for a Mediterranean view. You can then spend your days lounging on the most beautiful beaches in Corfu or discovering the top things to do and see on the island. By night, enjoy a delicious dinner at one of these top restaurants and a handcrafted cocktail at one of the best bars in Corfu.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.