Forking south beside mainland Greece, the vast island of Corfu bears a broad mix of party-mad resorts, sleepy fishing towns and upmarket villa enclaves. The bar scene is a similarly mixed bag: shots are downed in Kavos, cruise passengers pause for liqueurs in Corfu Town’s mansion bars, and older fans of the island watch the sunset from tranquil beach hangouts. Head to one of these quality venues for a well-mixed drink and some local character.
This harbourside bar – in the island’s most sociable food-and-drink hub – has dazzling views of the sea and, to the north, the city’s Old Fortress. Contemporary, cool and handy with a cocktail, its indoor space has teal velvet barstools and neon jellyfish art; outside, you can sip a martini with a backdrop of ancient city walls. Linger until 3am to meet the late-night locals.
Follow the pulse of reggaeton and house music to the doors of this hedonistic seafront spot in hotel-packed Dassia. A thatched pavilion shelters a stone-built bar with lots of jungly plants, where a youthful crowd sips vodka concoctions out of hollowed-out watermelons and raises tequila shots to the night sky. Start your night by shooting some pool, ending it on the dancefloor at 3am; the party spills out onto a pebble beach.
For a grown-up aperitif, head for this art-filled wine bar in the north of Corfu Town. Sit inside for a Parisian Left Bank vibe, or bag a spindly table on the idyllic Mediterranean patio outside, perfect for some Greek wine. Dip into wholesome meze, such as homemade hummus or a charcuterie board, and listen to locals chatter into the night. It’s a great spot for escaping the cruise ship tourist traps.
One of Corfu’s charms is its rugged, verdant landscape, especially along the picturesque west coast. Paleokastritsa is one of the most popular sandy coves, but not everyone knows about this curious waterside bar in the next one over. Drink a round of quality whiskey sours on cream-cushioned benches before diving in for a dip. Look out for the daring cliff-jumpers plunging in from the rocks on either side.
In the west coast’s popular, cliff-hugged Agios Gordios, this bohemian hangout is legendary. Set around a sultry patio painted in primary colours and pasted with record covers, every inch is lovingly crafted, all the way up to a wall of pebbles decorated by guests. Sink into the holiday vibe on your first night, sipping a mojito as rock and pop classics fill the night air – you’re sure to get tips from the Corfu fans who visit.
Corfu doesn’t have the beach club scene you’ll find on Mykonos, but this glam terrace under the city walls of Corfu Town is the next best thing. Right by the rocky shallows, its wooden deck is scattered with cushioned tables and swing seats, serving cold pints and zingy spritzers for long afternoons of socialising and swimming. If you get peckish while enjoying its views of the Old Fortress on the headland opposite, order spring rolls or club sandwiches.
The glass-edged terrace of this lofty bar juts towards the cinematic, plunging cliffs over Loggas Beach, a wild northwestern strand that can only be reached by a steep staircase. The outdoor bar kiosk is brightened by mosaic pillars and rope swings; couples driving round the island pause here to pull up stools and snap the view. Order one of the fresh juice-based cocktails topped with a sliver of watermelon, and settle in for an electric sunset.
Popular hotel area Ipsos has a handful of lovely bars outside of its resorts – and this tropical-feeling beachside haunt is worth seeking out for a drink. Trimmed with banana and bamboo plants and lit by tiki torches, it does a mean cocktail with fruity flourishes – head inside for a nightclubby interior, all palm-tassled lamps and moody lighting. A young crowd spills out onto the shingle beach, flirting over shisha smoke in the moonlight.
Excited to start planning your trip? We’ve got your accommodation sorted, from the best hotels in Corfu to top-rated luxury hotels, and you can even book right here on Culture Trip. You can then spend your days lounging on the most beautiful beaches in Corfu or discovering the top things to do and see on the island. By night, enjoy a delicious dinner at one of the best restaurants in Corfu.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Evangelos Tsirmpas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.