From its days of glory to the hard times of demonstrations and tear gas, Athens has always provided artists with the best material. Like all big cities, Athens bears many faces: small corners with bars, classic taverns, crowd-filled streets, historic monuments, glamorous dining, and alternative haunts. Through its love and violence, Athens has inspired Greek and international composers and singers abound, who found one more way to praise their beloved city through these six songs.
Sofia Vembo – “Londra, Parisi, Athina”
Sofia Vembo was a great Greek artist who stood out in the music and theater world from the interwar period through to the early postwar years and the 1950s. She became best known for her performance of patriotic songs during the Greek-Italian War, when she was dubbed the ‘Songstress of Victory’. At that time, Athens was turning into a big city center full of lights, labels, shops and life. Everybody’s dream was to reach the capital to chase better opportunities. That is why Sofia was singing this song, comparing her precious Athens to other big, European and American cities.
‘London, Paris, New York, Budapest, Vienna. No one of you can compare to Athens. Because its dress is always full of roses and white laces hug its seashores. You are inhabited by Gods, you heart-breaker Athens! They come down to Plaka to drink wine. And totally drunk, late at night, passing by each column, they go sleep in the Parthenon.’
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Belinda – “The Tango of Athens”
Belinda was also famous and adored in post-war Athens when the first big music halls and theaters appeared and hosted important artists of that time. An old style, nostalgic sound characterises this period and carry us to nights of elegance and passion; beautiful ladies and charming gentlemen danced to the rhythm of tango in the capital that began to accept foreign infuences in its way of entertainment. Still, as Belinda says, even the dance of Argentina tastes better in this city.
‘The most beautiful tango is the tango of Athens. It is an erotic tango, the tango of Athens. With just a few lights and my love by my side, that’s when my heart beats in the most erotic way.’
Dionysis Savvopoulos – “Athena”
An award-winning Greek composer and a great Greek poet united their talents to create this song. Manos Hatzidakis and Nikos Gatsos hold a special place in Greek music and in everyone’s heart. This tribute to Athens has been covered by many important singers. This version with Dionysis Savvopoulos in the Odeon of Herodes Atticus, a stone theatre located on the southwest slope of the Acropolis, was part of a concert dedicated to Manos Hatzidakis and reflects all the beauty that the lyrics describe.
‘In the garden of the sky I will enter to choose laurels, myrtle and amaranth and make a wreath for you. Athena! Oh Athena! Joy of this land and of the dawn! You little, blue lily. Some night, on the sand, I will become one of your seashells. Joy of this land and of the dawn. You little, blue lily…’
Vasilis Papakonstantinou – “Victoria”
Who could be more appropriate to sing about a lost love in the streets of the town than an old rocker? Vasilis Papakonstantinou is a beloved singer of young and also of older people. Whether you like this kind of music or not, it is impossible not to notice his special voice and the fact that he has remained original. Many people have spend nights crying to this song that reminds them all the beautiful parts of Athens where they experienced the big loves of their youth.
‘It is so cold tonight that it makes me sick and I am lost in the streets of the town. You are sleeping on a sea covered in foam. And I am drowning every day in the land. I look for you in Leoforos and Victoria. And I pass by our old haunt. You know very well that I have no more limits. I know very well that I will go crazy if I don’t find you.’
Apurimac & Elli Paspala – “Mi Utlimo Tango en Atenas”
Times change. For modern Greek singer Elli Paspala and the Greek Latin group Apurimac, Athens has become suffocating. The most fascinating thing about this song are its lyrics. Although the artists sing in Spanish, all the words they use have Greek origins and can be understood by a Greek person even if he or she does not speak Spanish at all. Words with a universal meaning express the melancholy among the streets of the city and present the concept of being human as our only hope .
‘Armonia neurotica en el microcosmο de la metropoli. Cultura narcisista en una monarquia dogmatica. Simfonia cacofonica, pandemonium en la atmosfera. Melodia simbolo, melodrama y tragedia. Este mi último tango en Atenas. Tango lloron, que corre por mis venas.’
Lightning Bolts, Nick Cave
The last years of economic crisis have changed the way of life in Greece. The people of the capital were the first to feel these changes and expressed their anger in big demonstrations against austerity measures. The famous Australian singer Nick Cave wrote a poem about the situation in Athens; a dark hymn with sounds of synthesizer in the background. In difficult times Athens still inspires international compassion, while its youth is still trying to stand up and face the future with power and hope.
‘In Athens all the youths are crying from the gas. I’m by the hotel pool working on a tan. People come up and ask me who I am. I say if you don’t know, don’t ask. Zeus laughs – but it’s the gas. And he asks me how I am. I say Zeus, don’t ask.’
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.