Sightseeing is one of the most interesting activities you can do while travelling. But it can also be the most confusing if you do not know where to start. To help you explore Athens and get acquainted with the ancient city, we have selected the top walking tours to help you discover the Greek capital’s many secrets and hidden gems.
Athens Small-Group Food Tour
With the Athens Small-Group Food Tour, you will get a chance to sample the delicious staples of Greek cuisine over two-and-a-half hours. After this feast on ouzo, feta, olives and olive oil and koulouri, the pretzel-shaped, sesame seed-crusted ring bread that Greeks eat on the go as breakfast. You will also get a glimpse of traditional sweets and deserts with a stop at a local delicatessen. Welcoming up to 12 people, the tour provides a glimpse into Athenian culinary scene, while exploring the streets and areas you wouldn’t see if you were on a regular tour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Moveable Sunday Feast
One of the best ways to experience Greek culture is on Sunday. Just like everywhere else, Greeks spend their Sundays eating with family and friends and when the weather allows it, stroll around the city center. This tour by Culinary Backstreets takes you in an authentic taverna for a Sunday meal after a leisurely walk around Monastiraki square and the flea market. The tour also includes a small exploration of Thissio and the Ancient Agora, Petralona and Psyrri. Come hungry as you will be making multiple stops along the way.
Athens Walking Tour with Food and Wine Tasting
Who hates waking up early for a tour? Then, you are in luck. The Food and Wine tasting tour starts at 10.30am! It is a simple tour of the historic part of Athens and the market place. You will also get a delicious souvlaki (there is an option for vegetarians as well) and visit a cava store where you will learn about not only Greek wine, but also ouzo and raki. Even better, you will taste them. The tour allows you to get a direct impression of the city.
Athens Greek Food and Markets Tour
All the foodies please stand up! This Greek Food and Markets Tour might just be the right one for you. Tour the central market with your guide, who also happens to be a chef and food journalist, and explore the nearby streets with more stores and shops. Retsina wine, vegetables, bread, meat, spices, you will learn all about these delicious foods.
Hidden Athens Walking Tour and Picnic: Plaka and the Hills of Athens
It is not surprising this tour has a five-star rating on Viator. This walking tour through Plaka and the hills of Athens is a refreshing exploration of the quiet parts of the city. You will discover the historic district of Plaka and the little gem that is Anafiotika, nestled on the slopes of the Acropolis. Your visit continues with a stroll to Areopagus on Mars hill before escaping the crowds in Filoppapou Hill for a restoring picnic of Greek delicacies with white wine before returning to your starting point.
The Essence of Athens in One Day
Perfect if you are staying in Athens for a day before heading to the island, this eight-hour tour introduces you to the many charms of Athens. Including a visit of the Acropolis and its museum, this guided tour will take you on a stroll around Plaka where you will visit several monuments and sites before reaching Syntagma square, the heart of modern Athens. You will get to explore the National Gardens, as well as the Zappeion and the Temple of Olympian Zeus with the Hadrian’s Arch. Your day ends at a wine bar, because, how else would you want to end it anyway?
Acropolis Walking Tour Including Syntagma Square and Historical City
The Acropolis Walking Tour is a best-seller. Starting with an exploration of Syntagma square, considered to be the heart of the modern city, the tour will include a stroll on the scenic Dionysiou Areopagitou pedestrian street, which begins on the other side of the Hadrian’s Arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. You will see the Filoppapou hill, Odeon of Herodes Atticus and end at the Acropolis. During the tour, you will learn about the historical monuments of the city but also colorful anecdotes and side notes which history books don’t mention.
Get Lost in Athens with an Insider
You may have already seen Athens and the Acropolis on a previous visit. Or maybe you are the type of person to stay clear of touristic tours? Whatever your situation is, this insider-guided tour is exactly what you need. Forget the museums and ancient ruins, this tour will show you the contemporary side of Athens, with a three-hour tour of Athens’ offbeat districts. Get to know Monastiraki, Thissio and the Kerameikos cemetery, as well as Psirri and the central market, where many Athenians shop.
Private Tour: Alternative Athens City Walk
Explore the city with a guide at your disposal. The Alternative Athens City Walk takes you on a tour of the ancient city’s historical landmarks and through iconic neighborhoods such as Psirri and Monastiraki where you will learn interesting facts, before discovering the non-touristy spots of the city that only locals know. This contact, up close, will allow you to understand the city, its past and its present.
Athens, City of Arts
Are you an art lover or connoisseur? Then get ready to explore the contemporary art scene of Athens. Discover Greek Culture has designed a unique one-day tour allowing visitors to discover the Athenian’s art scene with a visit to the best art museums and galleries in town before spending an afternoon with a local artist in his/her studio. You will get to ask them questions about their work and much more before exploring the art community through the historical districts of Monastiraki, Plaka and Psirri.
Highlights and Hidden Gems in Athens Walking Tour
With more than 2,000 years of history, Athens is an interesting destination for everyone. If looking for a tour that combines historical and contemporary Athens, then the Highlights and Hidden Gems tour is for you. See the main landmarks such as the Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, the Panathenaic Stadium, as well as the Roman Agora and Syntagma, while strolling around town through small streets and hidden gems.
Greek Spirits Tasting
If this is not your first time in Athens, but you still want to learn another aspect of the culture and explore the city, this Greek Spirits Tasting tour by Athens Insiders is the answer. Besides wine, Greece has a spirit-producing tradition that few know about. Learn how the local liqueurs and spirits such as tsipouro, ouzo, mastic liqueur and Metaxa, the local brandy, are produced and sample local delicacies.
Private Athens Street Art Walking Tour
Since Athens is considered as a street art mecca, the Street Art Walking Tour is ideal for those looking to discover another facet of this age-old city. This three-hour tour takes you along the back streets of Athens, where you will get to discover the unique street art covering the concrete walls of the city. You will learn about the different techniques and styles and discover the impact of the economic crisis on the flourishing street art in Athens.
Athens Metro Stations Tour: Underground Treasures and Excavations
Few people know that many of the artefacts excavated during the construction of the metro are actually on display inside some metro stations of the city center. These unique underground galleries were a way for the city of Athens to apologize to Athenians for all the inconveniences caused by the construction. The Metro Stations Tour takes you around four metro stations where archaeological findings are on display just like any other museum.
Athens in a Click
A perfect tour for anyone into photography, the Athens in a Click by Urban Adventures is designed as a photo adventure across Athens. You will visit the city’s main landmarks and learn some basic techniques to capture these impressive sites and get memorable snapshots. Your guide will introduce you to street photography and give you some tips and tricks. The tour will take you through Syntagma square, Plaka and Anafiotika, Monastiraki, Psirri, and the central market. A fun way to explore Athens with your camera in hand.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.