Athens may not be the most romantic city on earth, but there are plenty of fun and cheap things to do when you are dating. If you are looking for a different way of enjoying the city with your partner or simply are on a tight budget during your holidays, here are some ideas to spice things up in Athens.
Climb up Lycabettus Hill to watch the sunset over the city
There is nothing more romantic than watching the sunset together and since you are in Athens, you should make it count. Grab your partner and climb up the road to the top of the Lycabettus hill, the highest point in Athens, from which you can witness the sun disappearing on the horizon. But don’t leave right away, take the time to admire the glorious colors of the sky before heading down.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Get competitive at Playce
Switch up your habits and try Playce, a café-bar with a wide selection of over 100 board games for two or more players. For just 1€, you get unlimited play time and can order drinks and warm beverages to accompany your game.
Split a bottle of wine in Filopappou Hill
Want to enjoy the nice weather but can’t be bothered to find a bar or café? No worries. Head to the closest supermarket or cava store, buy a bottle of wine and visit the Filopappou Hill, so you can avoid the masses of the Areopagus Hill. Our favorite spot for impromptu drinking with a fantastic view of the Acropolis is on the way to the Filopappou monument, where you will spot a marble sitting area offering the perfect viewpoint over the sacred rock. Don’t forget your bottle opener.
Stroll around Kastella
We know Plaka is a favorite for romantic strolls, but we are pretty sure it is now a ‘been there, done that’ sort of activity. Switch it up and explore Kastella, Piraeus’ most picturesque district. Spanning around the picture-perfect harbor of Mikrolimano, Kastalla features narrow streets, old time charm and forgotten neoclassical mansions perched on the hillside. End your walk at one of the many cafés and fish taverns in Mikrolimano and make sure to choose one with a view over the water.
Unwind the Turkish Way
Why not reconnect and relax together at the hammam together? While there are several treatment options for couples, you can settle for the basic hammam (25€/person), where you and your S.O. can enjoy the relaxing effect of water and steam in a beautiful marble room. While it might not be cheap for a date, you will be so relaxed afterwards, you will feel it was worth it.
Share an ice cream cone at Le Greche
While some of you remember the legendary scene from the veteran TV show Friends, where Joey refuses to share his plate of fries with his date because “Joey doesn’t share food”, some of you may find it romantic. Forget the Lady and the Tramp pasta plate and share an ice cream together (or have one each, whatever works for you). Le Greche is one of Athens’ favorite joints for ice cream and since it stays open until late, you can combine it with a lovely dinner in town.
Explore the city on two wheels
If you are an active couple, spend a romantic time together with a tour of the city or your favorite spot (we suggest the Athens seaside promenade) by bike. For 15€ per day for per bike, you can spend a lovely afternoon exploring the backstreets of Plaka, the center of the city, or ride along the sunny coast for a moment just between the two of you.
Hike the Hymettus Mountain
If you really are on a budget but still want to sweat together, a hike in Athens’ highest mountain may just be what you need. Pack a delicious lunch and get ready to spend time in nature and take the fresh air in. Your little adventure will be rewarded with spectacular views over the city all the way to the sea and even Piraeus.
Sneak in some culture or a movie for free
Since its opening, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center has changed the lives of the Athenians, one event at a time. With a diverse and interesting agenda catering to all ages, the center has managed to established itself as a reference for all things cultural. Take advantage of its numerous free events open to all such as Concerts in the Park or the open-air free movies. Make sure to grab some snacks and drinks, and a blanket so you’re set for a nice date idea on the low key.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.