A city blessed with a rich history, Athens is an ideal destination. But we know that sometimes, visiting museum after museum can be tiresome, so we have compiled a list of activities to see and do in Athens that does not involve long queues and typical touristy places.
Take An Alternative Tour Around Athens
For those visitors keen to see the city under a different light, you are in for a treat. In recent years, many companies have come up with a variety of alternative tours and walks in Athens. Join and discover how local artists, photographers, designers or foodies live. Take part in a street art tour or a photography tour to explore underrated spots in the city or discover truly local gastronomy. Check out organizations such as Alternative Athens or Atathens to find a tour of interest.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Whether visiting during the spring or wanting to experience something different, a trip to Vouliagmeni lake is another option. Located 20 kilometers away from the center, the lake enjoys a temperature of 24° C thanks to underground hot springs. Its water, full of minerals and salt is believed to cure many ailments and skin issues. Besides, the Vouliagmeni lake also hosts a series of events such as theatre performances and jazz concerts.
Vouliagmeni Lake, Vouliagmeni, Attica, Greece. +30 210 8962237 or 210 8962239
Catch Up On The Latest Movie Releases
You may ask what is the point of locking yourself in a movie theatre while in Greece, but let us explain. As Greeks are blessed with a sunny climate, the summer is also the season of open air cinemas. Do like the locals and enjoy a relaxing evening watching a flick on a big screen under the stars. Athens has a plethora of outdoor cinemas where guests can watch the latest blockbusters or rewatch old-time classics. Visitors may even be lucky enough to be in town for the Athens Open Air Film Festival, with free daily screenings happening around the city.
Enjoy Views Over The City Without The Crowd
After a while, Athens can become chaotic. To take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city, seek refuge on Streffi hill, located in the notorious neighborhood of Exarcheia, the bastion of anarchy in Athens. Offering panoramic views of Athens, the Acropolis and even the Athens Riviera, the green hill is a small haven to relax after a day of sightseeing where joggers and dog walkers abound. A word of caution though, try to avoid it at night, as the place is badly lit and frequented by drug addicts. While you’re making your way down, stop by Ama Laxei on Kalidromiou street, a quaint little taverna where you can indulge in delicious Greek cuisine.
If you are hiking enthusiasts, Mount Hymettus, culminating at 1026 kilometers, is located east of Athens, near the Zografou university campus. So skip the monument visits and get your dose of fresh air by climbing up the mountain and enjoying spectacular views of the city all the way to the sea. Make a day of it and try to reach Kaisariani Monastery, a Byzantine monastery dating back to 1100.
While for many, Piraeus is a synonym for island gateway, the southern suburb used to be a city before it was incorporated to the capital. Take a stroll on Kastela hill, where you will stumble across picturesque neoclassical mansions and enjoy views over Mikrolimano, the picture-perfect marina where you can savour delicious, fresh seafood and fish. Piraeus is also home to the beautiful Municipal Theatre, built in the 1880s by architect Ioanni Lazarimo, an archaeological museum and a maritime museum as well. Take the time to explore Zea Marina (Pasalimani) and enjoy a drink in one of its many bars.
While the Athens Olympic Sports Complex (OAKA) was built in the 1980s, it underwent major renovation works in preparation for the 2004 summer Olympics by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. Stunning and beautiful, the OAKA is now in a state of abandon and resembles a ghost town, with weed-filled stadiums and rusting structures, although part of the complex is still used by local sport leagues and some of the venues have been converted into arenas, where famous bands like U2 or acts such as Madonna have performed. You will leave surprised at how this ambitious project is experiencing such decline.
The stunning Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, located in Kallithea, was rightfully the talk of town since its inception. While many thought it was a welcome addition for Athens, others thought the colossal project would end up as a budget sinkhole. Now completed, one thing is for sure: the stunning structure, comprising a park, an outdoor physical activies playground, an artificial canal (which is the new home of the National Library and the Greek National Opera), is an impressive endeavour that attracts hundreds of visitors who enjoy walks in the lush parks or along the canal and the many activities and performances hosted there. Why don’t you join them? The center organizes guided tours of the premises and you could make a day of it and settle for a picnic on its welcoming lawns. Check out the website to see the event program, which includes outdoor concerts and movie screenings.
Often overshadowed by the New Metropolis church next door, the Little Metropolis church, also known as Agios Eleftherios church, is a gem located on Metropoleos square, near Plaka. While its construction dates haven’t been confirmed by scholars due to the use of marble blocks from non-Christian temples, the church has undergone little change. With a free entrance, the church and its colourful frescoes definitely deserve a visit.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.