Greece has a long history as an active and socially engaged nation. It’s a land of poets, authors and philosophers, but without a consistently funded translation programme, few Greek writers have received the international readership they deserve. Read on to discover some of the most exciting Greek writers of today.
Awarded the National Literary Award for best new writer in 2012, Thomas Tsalapatis is a Greek poet with an exciting reputation. His work was included in the international anthology Austerity Measures: The New Greek Poetry (ed. Karen Van Dyck), and he has also published a Greek translation of W. B. Yeats’ work. You can read more of Tsalapatis’ work on his website.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Akis Papantonis was awarded the Anagnostis 2015 First Book Award for Karyotype, a novella about a molecular biologist who leaves Athens for Oxford to work on a new research project. The story focuses on the themes of family and identity. These are included within a clever structure that references DNA formations, reflecting the protagonist’s interests. Papantonis is also managing editor of Intellectum magazine, and lectures at the University of Cologne.
Danae Sioziou is a writer and poet based in Athens. She works as an English language teacher in Athens, has been published in international journals and was also included in the Greek poetry anthology Austerity Measures. Watch a live recording of her work below, or read more of her poetry online.
Phoebe Giannisi is a trained architect and a member of the Urban Void architecture group in Greece. Her impressive background extends to the literary sphere, too. She has published six books of poetry: Sea Urchins (1995), Ramazan (1997), Loops, (2005) Homerica ( 2009), Cicada (2013) and Rapsody (2015). Alongside these poetic works, Giannisi also writes on ancient Greek poetry and translates international poets into Greek. Find out more about her work on her website.
Elena Penga is a Greek playwright and writer. Her work of short fiction, Tight Belts and Other Skin, won the Greek Academy Prize in 2012, and her plays have been produced by the National Theatre of Greece and the Athens Festival, among other places. Her prose is lyrical and vivid, her command of dialogue punchy and compelling. You can read her work online.
Nikos Mandis is an exciting contemporary Greek author and translator who has published four acclaimed novels. Most recently published is The Blind Ones, a 600-page novel that chronicles the layered nature of Athens, and the way that individuals live within it. Mandis has been nominated for the Greek State Literary Award for Best Novel.
A renowned Art Historian and academic, Angela Dimitrakaki is Senior Lecturer in Contemporary Art History and Theory at the University of Edinburgh. She is also a respected writer who has published works including Antarktiki, Antisea, The Manifesto of Defeat, Inside a Girl Like You and AEROPLAST. In December 2017, Dimitrakaki was awarded the Academy of Athens Literary Award for her most recent work, Four Testimonies on the Exhumation of River Errinyos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.