Home to some of the most beautiful coastal scenery in Greece, the volcanic island of Milos is characterised by smoothly curving rock beaches, striking geological formations and pretty boat garages converted into colourful beach cottages. Explore it all using one of these excellent hotels as your base. There’s something for all travellers, from cliff-front cave cottages to classic Greek villas in fragrant Mediterranean gardens.
Set in a quiet rural spot a short drive from the bustling port of Adamas and the otherworldly volcanic rock formations of Sarakiniko Beach, Orizontes offers the best of both worlds. The cottage-style apartments come with fully furnished kitchens, terraces and living areas, while the outdoor pool is free of chemicals and cleaned with sea salt electrolysis – perfect for eco-minded travellers.
With outer walls laden with creepers, olive-green wooden shutters and feature walls in rugged brick, these apartments combine luxury with Mediterranean rusticity. Begin each day the best way possible with a breakfast of fresh pastries, fruits and coffee as you enjoy the greenery of the garden from your terrace. Then book a cruise around the stunning volcanic Milos coastline or relax with an in-room massage.
Sweeping views of the Aegean Sea are best enjoyed from the hot tub on the wooden sundeck of this gorgeous villa, shaded by a canvas sail and flanked with blue-and-white cushioned deckchairs to complete the maritime look. A bottle of Milos wine and other local treats welcome you on arrival, perfect for whipping up a meze dinner in the kitchen; it’s also hard to resist the daily brunch delivery, which includes fresh local breads, fruit, feta cheese and dacos (barley rusks topped with tomatoes and cheese).
Whitewashed pergolas overflow with pink flowers, shading comfortable terraces decked with comfy corner sofas at this lovely property just a short walk from the inviting blue of the Aegean Sea. Take in the view from your contemporary suite with a kitchenette and a balcony or terrace, and explore your surroundings with a scuba diving course, boat trip or a visit to the spooky Milos Catacombs.
With a fantastic location just steps from the port of Adamas, Giannis Apartments combine a traditional Greek style with hotel comfort. Relax on the parasol-shaded patio, take a stroll through the garden or head out on foot and explore the local area. Discover more about the colourful history of Milos at the Maritime Museum, or relax in a harbour-front restaurant and enjoy a gyros.
The teal shutters, whitewashed walls and straw sun hats hanging on the walls lend a beachy feel to Glarakia Studios, which are set in a warren-like complex with terraces and balconies overlooking the sea. Get a feel for the spiritual history of the island at the Ecclesiastical Museum, and industry at the Mining Museum, or descend below ground to explore the catacombs.
Even the Mini Suites at Kapetan Tasos have their own balcony or veranda – that’s upgraded to two in the Standard Suites, and a whopping three verandas and two balconies in the Superior Suite, which also has a large kitchen and living room. With a small gym, swimming pool with jacuzzi and even a lending library, there are activities here to exercise body and mind, while car and motorbike rentals and tour bookings are also offered.
With four apartments set around a floral garden, Anerousses has an intimate, homely feel that extends to the interiors. There’s a rustic charm to these comfortable studios, where you’ll find polished concrete bathrooms and kitchenettes. Ferry tickets can be arranged at reception, with the old churches, museums and waterfront restaurants of the port a short walk away.
Period features abound in this lovely house, from rough-hewn stone arches to fragments of classical-style Greek friezes and statues. The house is one of a row carved into the foot of a cliff, and is just a few feet from the sea – maritime artefacts decorate the interior, and there’s even a colourfully painted fishing boat brightening up the foyer.
For more places to stay in Milos, browse our selection of the best hotels on the island, now bookable through Culture Trip. Fill your trip itinerary by browsing the top things to see and do whilst you’re there, making sure to leave time to explore the island’s most beautiful villages. Feel like island hopping? Why not take a trip to nearby Folegandros. Stay in one of the island’s best hotels and make sure to leave room for a delicious dinner at one of it’s best restaurants.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.