The landscape of Eifel National Park is dramatic, to say the least. This untamed stretch of wilderness has been shaped by volcanic activity over the centuries. The park promises dense forests, crystal-clear lakes, rolling hills, endless hiking trails and picturesque historic towns. In short, it has everything a wanderer’s dreams are made of.
The amazingly diverse landscape of Eifel National Park spells paradise for hikers. Many hiking trails of varying difficulty and length meander through this park, each promising unique views. En route, you can expect imposing hills, valleys and gorges, waterfalls and bubbling streams, crystal lakes and moors, vast meadows and extinct volcanoes, picture-postcard towns, fairy-tale castles and historic squares.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Driving the Volcano Route
Germany’s Volcano Route, stretching from the River Rhine to the Eifel Mountains, between the cities of Bonn and Trier, is an immensely popular themed route. This 174 miles (280 kilometers) long road connects as many as 39 stations of geological, natural and cultural significance. A drive or hike along this route opens your eyes to natural wonders at every turn – crater lakes, extinct volcanoes, quarries, domes, rubble hills, waterfalls, geysers and more.
Cruising on Lake Rur
From the river, you can experience a completely different perspective of the magnificent Eifel National Park. Rur Lake Shipping Company operate noiseless electric boats that take visitors on leisurely short cruises, from April to October. You can choose to cruise the Obersee Reservoir, from Einruhr to Rurberg and further on to the Urftsee dam; or, you can enjoy the pristine landscape between the landing stage in Heimbach-Schwammenauel and Rurberg.
Monschau has remained pretty much unchanged for the last 300 years. It draws tourists with its unbelievably charming historic old town, cobbled alleys, ancient fortifications, adorable half-timbered houses and general air of chill. The museum Rotes Haus and the 13th century Monschau Castle are the most famous sights in Monschau. And don’t leave town before sampling Monschaus’s famous mustard!
Relaxing in Bad Münstereifel
Bad Münstereifel is a historic spa town almost entirely contained within beautifully maintained 13th century fortifications. A perfect weekend in this town consists of walking along the city walls, exploring its many beautiful buildings and shopping at the historic City Outlet. Technology buffs must not miss the Radioteleskop Effelsberg, the second largest fully steerable radio telescope in the world.
Come winter, and the Eifel National Park is usually covered in a blanket of snow, beckoning winter sports enthusiasts to flock to the area. The region offers excellent opportunities for cross-county skiing and tobogganing.
Visiting Burg Eltz
The surreal sight of Burg Eltz, perched on a 70 meters (230 feet) high rock in the midst of dense forests, never fails to drop jaws. The castle offers guided tours, in the course of which, you can explore its grand interiors, original furniture, weaponry and more. There are great restaurants and souvenir shops in the castle compound.
Burg Eltz, Burg-Eltz-Strasse 1, Wierschem, Germany, +49 267 295 0500
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.