Despite its renown for the best nightlife in Europe, Berlin’s best venues can sometimes be the most discrete dives and hidden corners, which hide surprisingly unorthodox places. Here are the quirkiest Berlin bars.
Berlin wouldn’t be Berlin without a venue honoring the existentialist punk culture that shaped the 1980s and 1990s. Panke Culture, tucked away in up-and-coming Wedding, is a labyrinth collection of rooms. These rooms allow it to organize a variety of events, ranging from concerts and exhibitions to talks and film viewings. Describing itself as a support of ‘edgy creativity’, its conscious stance against mainstream culture makes it the meta-hipster venue that all Berlin visitors are looking for. Despite this, it remains a well-kept secret, coveting its authenticity and discretion. It is quickly attracting loyal customers though, as it caters to the most basic needs of Berliner’s life: food, beer, and entertainment.
The story of this discrete organization captures both the reason we love Berlin and the reason it will be our perdition. These three bars are announced by the multitude standing in front of them, usually holding glasses of wine. The policy after 8pm is that you pay a donation for refills, and on condition that you can find a glass, the wine is served until there aren’t any bottles left. Essentially, the customer pays what they can afford and think the drink was worth. The naivety of the business plan is precisely the key to its success. Only a few years after its inception, the owners now have three local bars around Prenzlauerberg, serving wine and food with this voluntary payment structure. They even offer wine seminars. Die Weinerei is a friendly establishment that can teach many valuable lessons about wine and trust.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
We might try to avoid it, or deny it, but it is unavoidably true: Berlin’s specialty is its trustworthy ‘Spätis’, open late at night and festive days. They inevitably resolve all our essential problems; from sorting out food for Sundays to getting you your Wegbier on a Saturday night. Some remain modest in their selection, offering beer, tobacco, chewing gum, and sweets. Others have upgraded and tuned their spaces to include tables and sitting spaces, bakeries, freshly made tea and even strobe lights. We recommend International on Weserstraße 190, which includes a second room with a pool table and spaces to sit down to consider your strategic next move… Even Der Spiegel has felt the need to report about it, validating the phenomenon that we all appreciate.
Badehaus Szimpla Musiksalon
For those having experienced Budapests’ Szimpla, and familiar with the more local version on Boxhagener platz, this will be a familiar if not well-known name. It is quickly becoming an institution for live music, offering an original selection of musicians, which alternate between synth-pop, rock, flamenco, or even Gypsy wedding music. Badehaus Szimpla‘s musicians are mostly identifiable for their originality. When there is no live concert on, the venue is known for its Hungarian beats, cheap drinks and good vibes. It always promises a fun night.
We are all familiar with the history of East Berlin, but most of us can only imagine what it was like. Die Tagung, a last remaining corner stone of the Ozzi spirit, is faithful to its commie history; from the wallpaper to the sofas and lights, they are all sourced from the former DDR. It is renowned for its cheap prices and discrete clients, isolated from the over-hype of hipster district of F’hain. This is all tied together by the somewhat aged smell of dry paper and tobacco, and the dimly lit, narrow spaces.
Syndikat is a collectively run anti-establishment dive bar, renowned for its loyal crowd of anarchists and other anti-systemic citizens. This place is also known for its continued intellectual activity in the field of bier revolutionaries, and its hospitable policy of inclusion and discussion. It is so underground there are no available pictures on the web. It is quirky in decoration but especially in authenticity, as it is honest in its meaning to offer a discussion forum for all leftist ideas. Although they are tolerant of drunken behavior, it is to be avoided if alcohol brings out a closeted neo-liberalist.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.