Berlin is a city made for the saddle. Beautiful vintage racing bicycles and elegant city cruisers line the streets and its bicycle culture is one of its crowning features. Thanks to more than 900 kilometers (560 miles) of cycle paths along broad avenues, a wealth of green spaces and its general flatness, bicyclists get to see a different side of the capital when exploring it on two wheels.
Treptower Park and Plänterwald
With many winding roads to get lost in, lush green forests, a network of waterways and an iconic Soviet Wall Memorial to discover, Treptower is a paradise for any cyclist. The large area also connects to the sublime Plänterwald forests. Spend the day weaving in and out of its many shaded paths, and circle the perimeter of the mysterious abandoned amusement park at Spreepark.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tempelhof is a special place where you can still find open skies and a humbling sense of vastness in a usually dense, crowded city. This historical site was once an airport used by the people of West Berlin and their allies during the Cold War period. Now, its abandoned landing strips provide smooth terrain for cyclists and a unique experience for all visitors. Feel the wind in your hair as you glide past a community garden, picnickers, music-makers, joggers and skate boarders – Tempelhof has enough space for everybody.
Autumn, spring and summer in Berlin are optimum times to get cruising as the city is transformed into beautiful, earthy colors and movie-like scenes by the canals. The forests of Grunewald provide a scenic round trip you can do with your bicycle. First, you’ll need to get to the S-Bahnhof Grunewald, and from there follow the signs that lead to your cycling adventure. Spend the day in the cool forests and have a dip in the Teufelssee. Look out for the historical landmark of the Grunewaldturm and take in the beautiful view from the top of the monument’s tower.
The city of Potsdam is around 30 kilometers (18 miles) away from Berlin, and offers riders a perfect day trip by bicycle. On the way you’ll pass by the beautiful lake Wannsee and the Sanssouci Park with views of the grand rococo palace. Potsdam has many bodies of water to cycle around. Enjoy a picnic at the magical Belvedere open-air castle, nestled in nature on the Pfingstberg before cycling back to Berlin.
The East Side Gallery and along the Berlin Wall
A visit to Berlin would not be complete without an exploration into the city’s not so distant and divided history. It’s wild to think that less than 30 years ago a gigantic wall ran through the city, and one of the best ways to wrap your head around the magnitude of this lesson in time, is to cruise its length by bicycle. The section of the East Side Gallery, with its mural artwork, is particularly popular. When the wall stood, it spanned 140 kilometers (87 miles) in length, but choose the six kilometer (three-and-a-half mile) stretch that starts at the open-air East Side Gallery, passing through Bernauer Strasse via Potsdamer Platz. You’ll discover many memorials, remnants of the wall and the old border watchtowers on your journey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.