Other than being a wonderful city to explore, Hanover is also a great base to embark on exciting hikes. We have compiled a list of spectacular hiking trails around Hanover. The list includes long trails meant for seasoned hikers, easier ones for intermediates and breezy ones for families. Each trail offers something unique, be it gorgeous views, pilgrimage monasteries, glimpses of beautiful towns and cities, and even wild boars! Lace up your hiking boots and set off on a memorable adventure.
Steinhuder Meer trail
This hiking trail meanders along the gorgeous lake Steinhuder Meer, located in the middle of the Steinhuder Meer Nature Park conservation area. The trail connects the picturesque lake towns of Steinhude in the south and Mardorf in the north. You can enhance your hike with thrilling water sports at the lake, a visit to the Toy Museum and Butterfly Farm at Steinhude, and checking out the beautiful half-timbered structures and the lovely beach at Mardorf.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Distance: 19 mi/30.4 Km; Level: Difficult
Deister Mountain trail
The Deister Mountain Range is the Hanover region’s unspoiled wooded recreational and hiking area. This hiking trail starts at Wennigser Mark and winds along the stream up to the Deister-Kammweg. En route, you are rewarded for your efforts with stunning views across the countryside from the 30 meter (98 foot) high observation deck of Annaturm. Perhaps you would also want to treat yourself to a wonderful meal atop the tower before continuing on your way to Nordmannsturm, a 19 meter (62 foot) high lookout tower.
Distance: 9.3 mi/15.1 Km; Level: Difficult
Duinger Berg trail
This trail snakes from the car park “Alter Teichsweg” through the Duinger Berg over Coppengrave to the Alte Köthe. As you approach Coppengrave, you can feast your eyes on beautiful views of Hils and Ith, as well as Duingen. As you hike on, you will find many beautiful spots to photograph, seating areas to catch your breath and gastronomic options. Other stops in this route include the Krubben Mill and the Pottlandmuseum.
Distance: 7.6 mi/12.3 Km; Level: Moderate
This is an easy hike that is suitable even for beginners and children, but it is also big on views. This trail, through verdant forests, provides occasional peeks into Hildesheim and the Leinebergland. You can be assured of plenty of beautiful spots to rest your legs on the way, while enjoying pristine mountain views. The hike ends with a steep descent to a stream, which constitutes the most favorite part of the hike for children.
Distance: 3.1 mi/5.1 Km; Level: Easy
This one is another family favorite that is easy for kids to manage without getting too tired. The trail starts from Annastift and continues till Kronsberg. The part of the hike that especially appeals to children and adults alike is the wild boar enclosure. Also, you will come across playgrounds on the way.
Distance: 6.2 mi/10 Km; Level: Easy
This trail connects the monasteries of Lamspringe and Brunshausen, and runs long the Heber mountain range. This is a section of the 84 Km (52 mile) long Harzer Klosterwanderweg trail that runs along the northern edge of the Harz Mountains, connecting eleven former monasteries between the Lower Saxony Wöltingerode and the city of Quedlinburg in Saxony-Anhalt.
Distance: 13.3 mi/21.5 Km; Level: Difficult
Via Romea trail
Via Romea is a famous pilgrimage trail from Northern Germany to Rome. It consists of 12 sections, one of which lies close to the Hanover area. This part of the trail connects the medieval towns of Celle and Braunschweig, and takes you past agricultural land, small settlements and treats you to the rustic, rural ambience of the countryside.
Distance: 23 mi/36.9 Km; Level: Difficult
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.