If you wish to complement your Hanover holiday with day trips, we guarantee that you will not run out of choices. A busy day in a scintillating city or a relaxed day in a historic one? Or would you rather visit the fairy-tale lands of your childhood? From green mountain hamlets to pretty river towns, we are about to spoil you for choice!
Goslar is a small historic town clinging to the slopes of the Harz Mountains. Goslar has a long history of mining and was home to Roman emperors for hundreds of years. Today, it attracts tourists with its row upon row of beautifully carved half-timbered houses, romantic alleys, quaint squares, and beautiful wood carvings. The most popular tourist attractions in Goslar are the Rammelsberg Mine, Brusttuch House, the 500-year-old Kaiserworth Hotel, the Royal Palace (Kaiserpfalz), and the Rathaus, among others.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 93 km (58 miles)
This little 1000-year-old town perched on the bank of the Aller River in Lower Saxony is definitely worth a stop. A day is enough time to catch the highlights of Celle – including beautiful works of architecture like Celle Castle, Hoppener Haus, Stadtkirche St. Marien, and the Synagogue. If you wish to relax in the midst of nature, Celle offers irresistible choices like the French Garden, Obere Allerniederung bei Celle (Upper Aller Lowlands), and Südheide Nature Park. For a great family outing, head straight to Filmtier Park.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 44 km (27 miles)
The famous harbor city of Hamburg needs much longer than a day to explore, but if you are pressed for time and don’t mind a busy day, head to this magnificent city for a great day out. The most popular attraction of Hamburg and a family favorite is Miniatur Wunderland. Head to the harbor for sweeping views of the river and ships. Hamburg is home to beautiful examples of architecture like the Kunsthalle, Rathaus, and St. Michael’s Church, and several great museums and green spaces as well.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 151 km (94 miles)
Bremen, a very important trade center, is a great city escape from Hanover. A stroll through the Old Town rewards travelers with magnificent attractions and architectural works. Don’t miss the sculpture of the Bremen Town Musicians from your childhood bedtime fairy tale. Spend the rest of the day in the stunningly beautiful Rhododendron Park or visit one of the museums – Paula Becker-Modersohn Museum, Ludwig Roselius Museum, German Maritime Museum, or the Universum Science Center.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 127 km (79 miles)
If you are looking for a perfect family day out, you can’t do better than Autostadt. This superb interactive automobile museum offers loads of activities beyond gaping at snazzy automobiles. Other fun family attractions in town are the BadeLand, Essehof Zoo, Allerpark, and Phaeno Science Center. Additionally, Wolfsburg Castle and Kunstmuseum are worth a stop.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 90 km (56 miles)
This romantic university town with a rich heritage is perfect if you wish for a slow-paced day out. Stroll along the historic squares of Göttingen or relax by the Leine River. Don’t miss the historic University Botanical Garden and the ruins of Burg Hardenburg.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 121 km (75 miles)
Here is your chance to walk the steps of the Pied Piper! As legend goes, the chilling tale of the Piper is not mere make-believe but rooted in the history of this town. Expect to find statues, sculptures, paintings, as well as loads of souvenirs and even cafés belonging to the theme of the famous fairy tale. Additionally, this impeccably preserved historic town in the lap of the Weserbergland hills is a delightful place to explore.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 65 km (40 miles)
Not to be confused with the municipality of Alfeld in Bavaria, the town of Alfeld is in Lower Saxony by the River Leine. The most popular tourist attraction in Alfeld is the UNESCO World Heritage Site Fagus Factory. This interesting shoe museum is known as much for its collection as for its unique architecture. Alfeld, with its romantic streets and gabled houses, is a great place for relaxed exploration.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 51 km (32 miles)
If you are interested in history and architecture, Braunschweig is sure to win your heart. This town was hit hard during the Second World War, and was later lovingly restored and reconstructed as close to its original beauty as possible. When in Braunschweig, spend a day admiring the fascinating architecture of St. Blasius Cathedral, Burg Dankwarderode, Town Hall, Schloss Richmond, Staatstheater, and the Riddagshausen Abbey.
Distance from Hanover: Approximately 68 km (42 miles)
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.