Let’s take a look at the best vegetarian and vegan restaurants around Boxhagener Platz, affectionally known as ‘Boxi,’ one of Berlin’s trendiest areas.
There are branches of Goodies all over Berlin, but Freidrichshain has two – the all-vegan branch inside Veganz and another on Warschauerstraße that does serve some dairy. With a huge variety and speedy service, Goodies is perfect for a speedy lunch or a relaxed afternoon coffee and cake. Indulge in a comforting bowl of chili con tofu soup or one of the many filled bagels, the satay tofu comes highly recommended. There’s also a wide range of salads, smoothies, and hot drinks, to eat in or take away. If you’re dubious about the idea of raw cakes, don’t be – the stracciatella ‘cheese’cake is to die for.
The Bowl is not even a year old yet, but it’s already made a name for itself as the clean eating hotspot in Friedrichshain. The premise is simple – big, healthy portions served in the humble crockery after which The Bowl is named. The buddha bowl (with Sumatra curry, asparagus, and beetroot carpaccio) and the macrobiotic bowl (with tempeh, pink kimchi and quinoa) in particular are heavenly heaps of vegan goodness. The décor strikes the perfect balance between stripped-back cool and effortless class, making The Bowl ideal for both a laid back lunch or an evening out.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It’s not easy to find a fast food joint with more than just a token meat-free option, but Yoyo Foodworld is going a long way towards righting that wrong. It has a grungy dive bar aesthetic and – at last count – 29 varieties of vegan burgers. Plus there’s pizza, schnitzel, and currywurst, served with a person’s bodyweight in fries, and salad – but let’s be honest, it’s all about scratching that junk food itch here.
Understated and unpretentious, Chay Village is a Vietnamese restaurant located in a quieter part of Friedrichshain, between Boxhagener Platz and Frankfurter Tor. Meat’s off the menu, of course, as is alcohol, but that in no way holds it back. Vegetarian versions of many Vietnamese classics can found, from Bahn Xeo (savory fried pancakes) to Pho (noodle soup), and there’s a hint of a Thai influence as well, with delicious red curries and spicy salads. It’s definitely worth hunting out.
Currently undergoing refurbishment and due to reopen in the coming months, Goura Pakora is a veggie and vegan paradise for those who love Indian food. Lentil dahl and masala dosa (big rice batter pancakes crammed full of fluffy potato curry) are the order of the day, alongside filling and delicious thali platters to share or enjoy all to yourself. Goura Pakora makes regular appearances at the Green Market Berlin, too, where it often offers imaginative twists on its staple dishes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.