Between Koblenz and the border to Luxembourg lies Germany’s oldest wine region. Already the Romans saw potential in the warm microclimate and nutrient-rich soil. Today, the vineyards of the Moselle region produce some of the world’s best Rieslings. Here are seven of the best vineyards.
Weingut Willi Schäfer
This small vineyard dates back to 1121. The Schäfer family mostly relies on their trained sense of taste and their gut instinct when it comes to determining the best time to harvest each section of their vines. The family exclusively produces Riesling on their 4.2 hectares of land which are characterised by a perfect balance between acidity and structure. The critically-acclaimed wines are being distributed all over the world. If you would like to taste the wine on-site, be sure to book an appointment beforehand.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Weingut Schloss Saarstein
Weingut Schloss Saarstein resembles more a château which sits at the top of the vine-clad hills near Serrig. In 1956 Christian Ebert’s parents purchased the estate and now cultivate 10 hectares of vines, with more than 95% being Riesling grapes. Every year the team bottles elegant and delicate white wines typical of the area. Tastings can be arranged online or via the phone. For larger events of up to 50 people, Schloss Saarstein has a beautiful glass-fronted indoor terrace overlooking the vineyards and the Saar river below.
This estate cultivates Riesling and small amounts of Pinot Blanc across 21 hectares along the ‘golden mile’ between Zeltingen and Bernkastel. The family carries on a 440-year-long tradition of producing aromatic and timeless white wines. The prize-winning Rieslings are available across the world and are served in the business and the first class of international airlines. Tasting can be booked for groups with a minimum of four people.
In 1990 Swiss Daniel Vollenweider fulfilled his dream of managing his own vineyard. Since then he’s expanded his lands from only one hectare to five and climbed the ladder to the top of prestigious Moselle wines. His portfolio is composed of dry and sweet Rieslings which are available from wine shops across Germany as well as internationally. For visits and tastings, contact the vineyard via the online contact form.
Weingut van Volxen
In 2000, Roman Niewodniczanski took over this historical vineyard which dates back to Roman times. Rediscovered by monks in the 11th century, the estate was acquired by the van Volxem family after the French Revolution and evolved to be one of the most prestigious vineyards of the time. Nowadays, Niewodniczanski aims to equal the dry Rieslings of the 1900s which counted royal families across Scandinavia as ardent fans. International critics and customers are already convinced, and his Rieslings rank among the top of wines from the region.
Weingut Clemens Busch
Clemens and Rita Busch grow Riesling and a small amount of Pinot Noir on their 16 hectares in Pünderich. In 1984 the couple moved to only producing organic wines, renouncing the use of pesticides, fertilizers and chemical additives. Since then they have been ranked as one of the best German ecological wine producers. Their passion for the work and their respectful relationship with the vines are reflected in a range of elegant and dense white wines. The family offers tastings at their estate house in Pünderich.
Weingut Markus Molitor
At only 20 years of age, Markus Molitor took over this vineyard from his father. Following his lead, the winemaker mostly produces Riesling. He aspires to produce wines that each reflect the distinct qualities of the terroir the vines grew on – and with 15 parcels of land across the region, he has a lot to experiment with. The key to his success is the uncompromising selection when it comes to harvesting and the maturing process. Between 2009 and 2012, he renovated the Haus Klosterberg estate manor entirely, mixing historical and modern elements. Guests can visit the beautiful vineyard throughout the week, and tastings of a selection of wines can be arranged.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.