Cologne’s Südstadt Quarter is one of the most popular neighbourhoods among locals. The streets are lined with trendy cafés, snack bars and restaurants, the nightlife is vibrant, and you’re only a short stroll from the Rhine riverfront. Not many tourists venture out here, but if you’re looking to experience the authentic Cologne, it’s worth the trip. Here are the best things to do in the Südstadt district.
Relax at the Volksgarten Park
In the summer months, the Volksgarden Park sees people of all ages flock to the park to catch some sun on the vast tree-dotted green areas, have a picnic, explore the ruins of the former Prussian fortification Fort IV, stroll though the rose garden, or rent a paddle boat to cruise across the pond. You’ll see there are plenty of ways to spend a sunny day at the park, but if that’s all too much action for you, you can always snatch a spot at Heller’s beer garden and cool down with a chilled glass of Kölsch or lemonade.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Strike a bargain at the flea market
For more than 25 years, flea market vendors have set up shop in the parking lot of Cologne’s Südstadion stadium. On the first Sunday of each month between April and November, some 300 stalls sell a hotchpotch of antiques and curiosities, second-hand vinyl records and clothes, retro décor, jewellery, toys and more. Rummaging through the wide range of shops and stalls makes for a fun day out – you never know what you’re going to find.
Have a Kölsch at a local brewhouse
Traditional Kölsch breweries have played an integral part in shaping Cologne’s identity, and the cluster of cosy brew houses in the old town is usually one of the first stops for tourists. The only downside is that they can get quite busy and usually have a touristy feel. If you don’t want to miss out on the experience and want to mingle with locals at the same time, head over to one of the breweries in the Südstadt Quarter. Früh Em Veedel serves the popular Früh Kölsch, Zum Alten Brauhaus has Reissdorf Kölsch on tap, and Brauhaus Johann Schäfer is dedicated to Gaffel Kölsch and their home brew.
Dive into the nightlife
The streets around Chlodwigplatz are not only seamed with restaurants and cafés but are also home to great bars and clubs. Kölschbar, Lotta, Tsunami Club, Ubierschänke and Im Schnörres are the most popular hangouts in the neighbourhood and are only a short stroll from one another. It’s always worth checking what’s on beforehand; you might find stand-up comedy nights, live gigs and themed parties.
Marvel at the remains of the medieval city wall
Only four of the 12 medieval city gates that once encircled the city centre have been preserved. One of them stands right off of Chlodwigplatz Square, the pivotal point of the Südstadt Quarter. The ancient brick façade and the twin towers of the Severinstorburg immediately catch your eye and remind you of how old the city of Cologne is. Today the builing is mainly used for marriage ceremonies or private events.
One thing that defines the Südstadt cityscape like nothing else is that, as soon as the sky clears up, virtually every street corner and sidewalk is populated with chairs and tables, and locals storm outside to snatch a seat under the sun in front of their favourite café or restaurant. So by ‘eating out’, we mean pick a Südstadt eatery, grab a seat outside and soak up the lively Südstadt vibe.
Hang out at the Rheinauhafen
In an attempt to revive the Rhine waterfront around the old harbour installation, the city of Cologne initiated a regeneration project, which has spruced up the row of upscale apartment complexes, office buildings, restaurants, cafés and shops overlooking the river south of the Chocolate Museum. Those with a thing for architecture love the so-called Kranhäuser (crane houses), which have an upside-down L-shape and jut out over the promenade underneath.
Looking for somewhere to stay? Book one of the best hostels and budget hotels in Cologne now through Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.