Between April and October, Germany’s beaches and islands draw watersports enthusiasts to the coast. Kitesurfing has experienced quite a boom in recent years, and more and more centres offer courses for both novices and experienced kiters. Varying conditions along the coastline ensure that everyone gets their money’s worth, whether you’re zipping across the flat water or are keen to take on the waves to practise your jumps. We had a look at the best kitesurfing spots in Germany.
Twenty years ago, a TV series set in St. Peter Ording about a group of windsurfers was broadcast on German television, putting the seaside town on the map for watersports enthusiasts. Today, the North Sea beaches are considered to be some of the best kite and windsurfing spots in Germany and are regularly the scene of kitesurfing competitions. Conditions vary along the coastline with changing winds and weather, but kitesurfers of all levels flock to the town 150 kilometres north of Hamburg. The X-H2O watersports centre offers courses and equipment rental.
Fehmarn, one of Germany’s most popular Baltic Sea islands, has made a name for itself as a kite and windsurfing mecca. This summer, the Kitesurf World Cup is set to lure even professionals to the island for the second time. While several flatwater spots across the islands offer lots of opportunities for beginners to get the hang of the sport, intermediate and advances kitesurfers take to the deeper waters to practise their jumps. Whatever level you’re at, the many kitesurfing centres and rental stations on the island can set you up with courses and equipment.
Sylt is primarily known as Germany’s glitz-and-glamour island of the Frisian archipelago in the North Sea. The island offers beautiful beaches, fantastic restaurants and spa and wellness resorts – and reliable winds that attract wind and kite surfers from Germany and abroad. Between April and November, the beaches and offshore sandbanks see people take on the flat waters and waves along the coast. Courses run throughout the season, and in the last week of June, professionals join in on the fun when they compete in the Sylt Kitesurf Cup.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Approximately 170 kilometres northwest of Bremen is Norddeich, the gateway to the East Frisian islands and a popular spot for rookies, as well as advanced and professional wind and kitesurfers. Changing winds bring both flatwater and smaller and bigger waves to the North Sea coast. The local surf centre can book you on a course, sort out equipment, and brief experienced kiters on conditions in the area.
The protected water of Lubeck Bay attract first and foremost those with little or no experience and are just getting into kitesurfing. A quick drive up the coast from Lubeck gets you to Niendorf, or even further north to Pelzerhaken. The local kitesurfing schools provide all the needed equipment and take rookies into the flat water. More experienced kiters have discovered the Brodtener Ufer towards Travemünde for stronger east winds and waves. Don’t get into the water if you’re not confident in your abilities, offshore boulders and rocks make it a potentially treacherous undertaking.
Rügen Island lies off of Stralsund on the Baltic Sea coast and is a favourite holiday and weekend trip destination. Famous for the picturesque white chalk cliffs and beautiful beaches, the island boasts some excellent kitesurfing spots. Wiek, Thiessow and Kreptitz are considered to be the best locations, each catering to a niche. The shallow water off Wiek is usually flat, though westerly winds sometimes create a small wave you can use for jumps. Kreptitz offers the opposite, and only experienced kitesurfers should even think about getting into the deep waters here. Thiessow offers the best of both worlds, the northwesterly wind brings waves, and easterly winds turn the sea flat.
Beautiful sandy beaches, idyllic scenery, spa towns and lots of outdoor activities draw people to Norderney. But also kitesurfers are spoilt for choice when trying to decide on a spot for the day. During the season, the renowned locations of Januskopf, Weiße Düne, Kaiserbecken and others offer a mix of conditions. One of the annual highlights is the White Sands Festival that sees lots kitesurfing competitions and beach volleyball matches plus exclusive parties in the evenings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.