The love that many Germans have for boisterous public parties and celebrations is evident in many German festivals, and it comes as no surprise that the country boasts some of the most spectacular public New Year’s Eve (Germans call it “Silvester”) celebrations in Europe. Across the country, millions of people brave midnight’s freezing temperatures to ring in the New Year beneath a sky crackling with spectacular fireworks. Here is our pick of the German cities that pull out all stops to welcome the New Year in style.
Germany’s capital city shows the rest of the continent how it’s really done! The biggest, the snazziest, and the most bombastic New Year’s Eve street party in Europe is held at the Brandenburg Gate starting December 30 and continuing till the morning of January 1. There are live performances, DJs, and stunning light and music shows, culminating in a breathtaking firework show as the New Year rolls in. Between the historic Brandenburg Gate and the Victory Column, over a million people witness this spectacle, most hanging around till the wee hours of the morning. Entry is free. In addition to this display, the entire city is bathed in light on Silvester, fireworks are set off from various points, and most clubs hold pulsating parties.
Straße des 17. Juni, 10557 Berlin
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
On New Year’s Eve each year, the brisk business city of Frankfurt transforms into a magical land. If there is one activity in Frankfurt that beats standing on one of the bridges on the River Main and watching the sky exploding with fireworks that reflect off the river, it’s taking a river cruise and being right in the center of the brilliant play of light. Hundreds of thousands of people throng the banks of the river, the Old Opera House, and Romerberg Marketplace in search of the perfect vantage point from which to enjoy the fireworks.
There is a reason why hundreds of thousands of people brave the midnight chill and jostling crowds to be present in the streets of Cologne on New Year’s Eve: the sight of the majestic Cologne Cathedral silhouetted against the night sky bursting with fireworks is worth all the trouble in the world. Other great vantage points to enjoy one of the best fireworks shows in Germany are the banks of the River Rhine and the Rheinpark.
Every New Year’s Eve, the gorgeous city of Dresden pulls off an extravaganza that is surely worth writing home about. The city hosts one of the grandest public parties in Germany in Theaterplatz Square, with live-music performances, dancing, delicious food, and – no prizes for guessing – a breathtaking fireworks show. An additional fireworks show is thoughtfully held earlier in the evening for the little ones. Book tickets early.
The bustling city of Munich turns into one huge party on New Year’s Eve. Huge crowds gather at the historic Marienplatz, Olympic Park, English Garden, and Old Town Square to toast the New Year amid gorgeous fireworks. When in Munich, you don’t need to worry about finding the perfect vantage point, as the sky over the entire city lights up with spectacular fireworks at midnight. However, Tollwood New Year’s Eve Party is the hottest and the most happening place to be in the city. This sprawling party promises banging music, delicious food, and endless fun.
Stuttgart is known for its series of extravagant New Year’s Eve parties, but those who want to be in the heart of the action should head to Schlossplatz. This gorgeously illuminated square basks in festive cheer. Cute stalls sell yummy food and drinks under a sky that is ablaze with fireworks, and there is a beautifully lit ice-skating rink in the Schlossplatz.
No matter how you like to spend your New Year’s Eve – watching brilliant fireworks, dancing the night away, gorging on a great midnight buffet, or on a cruise ship – the beautiful harbor city of Hamburg will have something for you. The illuminated cityscape provides a magical setting for the midnight extravaganza of fireworks that are set off over the river. Huge happy crowds welcome the New Year as the sky and the water are flooded with lights. The best way to see the fireworks is from a cruise boat, though the harbor promenade, Jungfernstieg, and Alster are all excellent vantage points, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.