When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, Germany shot to the top of every traveller’s list. From party-centric Berlin to the ancient city of Cologne, this dynamic Central European country has much to offer. Its renowned design scene – most famously, the influential Bauhaus movement – makes for some of the finest hotels to be found in the world. Wondering where to go in Germany? Check out some of the very best.
Located near the longest remaining section of the Berlin Wall, Nadine and Tom Michelberger opened their eponymous hotel as a labour of love. Their passion for creativity is infused throughout, and regular events held here include yoga and meditation. The Michelberger attracts a like-minded clientele, specifically visiting musicians, who enjoy relaxing post-gig in the courtyard. Room sizes vary from Cosy to the Big One, large enough for a band of six. The excellent restaurant specialises in seasonal organic dishes using ingredients from the Michelberger Farm.
In a former life, this neo-Gothic building was once home to the city’s archives. Michael Kaune, owner of both the hotel and the design magazine of the same name, has artfully curated the 34 rooms and suites. Using pieces that clearly have personal resonance, he’s created a love letter to design through the ages. Mid-century modern merges effortlessly with contemporary photography, nonchalantly crowned by a hand-painted medieval wooden ceiling dating back to 1390.
Sustainability is high on GINN’s agenda, which could be a legacy from the former occupant of the building, Greenpeace. Optimising its harbourside location, the hotel’s restaurant serves up the catch of the day from Hamburg’s neighbouring historic fish market. Unsurprisingly, they excel in seafood dishes as well as vegan, vegetarian and organic cuisine. The bedrooms and bathrooms offer comfort with functionality. Visiting the nearby U-Boat museum is a must for nautical and history fans.
Where else but Stuttgart, the hub of car manufacturing for luxury brands Porsche and Daimler AG, would you find a car-themed hotel operating in full throttle? The bedrooms are uniquely decorated with walls featuring an array of automotive scenes through the ages. Many of the beds are constructed from classic cars, while old parts are repurposed into furniture. The highlight is the four-levelled V12 Mercedes-Suite, which comes with its own sauna and roof terrace. They’re missing a trick by not renaming the sleeping quarters bed(vroom)vrooms…
Located in the heart of Dresden’s baroque Old Town, the gloriously domed Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady) is a close neighbour of Vienna House QF Dresden. Some of the best shopping and restaurants in the vicinity can be found in the adjacent QF Passage shopping centre. Dachbar on the 6th floor is the perfect choice for an aperitif, to be enjoyed while drinking in the panoramic views from the terrace. The hotel is a mere five minutes from the city’s most revered piece of architecture, the Zwinger palace, which houses an inspiring collection of old masters, most notably Raphael’s mesmerising Sistine Madonna.
Since the hotel opened in 2016, Roomers’ rooftop bar and pool instantly became the coolest hangout in the spa town of Baden-Baden. Looking like a cluster of boxes have been dropped near the lush landscape of the Black Forest, the interior is an homage to contemporary style, courtesy of exemplary Italian designer, Piero Lissoni. Feted chef, The Duc Ngo, serves up pan-Asian cuisine, and the walk-in humidor contains a selection of cigar rarities. Small well-behaved pooches are welcome when pre-booking.
Oozing all the charm and character you’d expect from a wooden inn built in 1342, Hotel Drei Raben lures visitors in with tales of its three black ravens, who impart the secrets of the town. Their stories of old Nuremberg seep through to the themes and decor of the bedrooms, exemplified by room 21, where artist Hans Karl Busch created an homage to the world’s first pocket watch, known as the Nuremberg Egg. Come for a place to sleep, and stay for the enchanting folklore.
Looking for more great places to stay in Germany? Whether you’re visiting Leipzig, Nuremberg or Lake Constance, we’ve got you covered. Discover our guide to the most enchanting castle hotels in Germany or relax and unwind at one of these top-rated German spa hotels — all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.