If you’re looking for conscious and ethical shopping, Munich has it all. The sustainability sector here is growing, with department stores hosting events to promote small labels, fairs introducing local brands, and organisations supporting homegrown businesses. Munich ceramicist Annika Schüler reveals her favourite local brands and where to buy them.
Annika Schüler is a ceramist in Munich with a passion for supporting local businesses. “I think it’s important to support small labels, shops and great ideas. It is more personal, passionate, authentic, fair, sustainable and simply much more satisfying,” she says.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“I’ve got to know some great labels over the years and I think it’s fantastic when people choose to shop less, but more carefully. In small shops, for example, with artisans, with designers, with lovingly run stores that offer deliberately selected products and not at huge chain stores.”
Here, Annika shares her favourites with Culture Trip – if you’re in Munich, these are the unique brands you have to keep an eye out for.
Schüler creates beautiful, modern ceramics, and from crockery and vases to soap dishes and jewellery, her work is delicate and eye-catching – the perfect gifts. “Ceramic handicraft is booming, as is artisanal work in general,” she says. “I started my business with a friend who’s a jewellery designer. Then she got a great offer in another shop, so I opened my workshop in Westend. Customers stayed, new ones came, and everything’s going really well. But being self-employed in the creative industry is no easy task. It takes perseverance, courage, passion and many, many hours of work.” She sells her products in half a dozen shops in the city, but it’s also possible to visit her workshop to see where the magic happens.
Love Kidswear was founded in 2015 by fashion designer and former Vivienne Westwood employee Franziska Bergmiller, for children between 0 and 14 years old. Clothing is made from sustainable materials, and all items are ethically made in Portugal. “When I need gifts for my nephews and nieces, I go to Franziska at Love Kidswear in Haidhausen,” says Annika. Items are playful, casual, colourful and impeccably stylish. Love Kidswear also has a gorgeous range of tableware, designed in collaboration with Schüler.
“At Truly Craft Chocolate, everything is thoughtfully, fairly and lovingly handmade,” Annika says. Davina Goldammer-Utz and her husband, Rony, run one of the city’s most popular ice cream shops, True & 12, where they started selling their handmade bean-to-bar chocolate late last year. There are only two ingredients in this exquisite chocolate – cacao beans and sugar. Pop into the shop to learn all about the small-batch chocolate production, where they get their beans from, and sample these treats for yourself.
ThokkThokk is an organic, minimalist fashion label that’s been around for more than a decade and now sells clothing throughout Europe. “Both my boyfriend and I wear their clothes, they’re fantastic!” Annika says. The head office is based in Munich, and there is a store in Baaderstrasse, in Munich’s hip Glockenbachviertel. Clothes are produced in India, where the organic cotton is also grown, and transparency plays a large role in the brand; the website shares details so you can find out all about their production locations.
This papeterie is a tiny treasure trove of beautiful stationery, selling handmade wrapping paper, cards and photo albums. All lovingly made, these pieces make wonderful gifts for loved ones or a charming souvenir of your trip to Munich. Head to the leafy Sendling side street, where the store is based, to see how the photo albums are made, how the paper is printed and to see just how much love founder Barbara Hagenlocher puts into her craft.
This Munich gin brand comes highly recommended. “Good gin, good people – a young team who are always busy. I’ve met them several times and love to drink their gin,” Annika says. The distillery is in the east of the city, around a 20-minute drive from the centre, and it’s a lovely day trip if you have the time – the tour is fun, and the distillers are friendly and welcoming (they also make Lion’s vodka, if you fancy sampling that, too). If you’re just after a bottle of locally made dry gin to take home, the Duke is now sold in most of the city’s supermarkets – a real coup for a small, young business.
Tragbar is a team of four local jewellers, who each design their own individual pieces, but work together to present their contemporary collections at their workshop and store in Munich’s meatpacking district. “One of the designers is Anne Gericke,” says Annika. “She makes high-quality jewellery and works for the city, in a team of experts for the cultural and creative industries. Because of this, I’ve often been in touch with her for various projects.”
Manufactum is a German retail store focused on goods made using traditional manufacturing methods and materials. Star product Beyer’s Oil fits this category – Bastian Beyer makes his traditional beard oil using all-natural and regional ingredients. The beeswax, for example, is from a hive close to Bavaria’s biggest lake, Chiemsee. “It’s a great product, and Bastian is a great guy,” says Annika. “He’s nice, relaxed and uncomplicated, but ambitious and hardworking. We’re currently in the process of creating a soap dish especially for his beard soap.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.