The Bavarian town of Bamberg is located in Upper Franconia and is home to just over 70,000 people. Its postcard-perfect streets and preserved heritage make it a desirable destination for travelers wanting to experience Bavarian small-town life. With local delicacies like smoked beer, Bamberg also offers a unique trip for the gastronomically inclined. Read on to learn more about the 10 best restaurants in this quaint Bavarian beauty.
Schlenkerla is a historical smoke brewery located in the heart of the old town of Bamberg. Smoked beer is unique to this town, so you simply cannot pass through without sampling some. With award-winning brews, ales tapped directly from oak barrels, and a venue that has existed in some form since the 15th century, Schlenkerla is the perfect place to whet your whistle and try some traditional Bavarian food and drink.
Contact: Dominikanerstrasse 6, 095156060
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a break from Bavaria and travel to Italy for a meal! Aposto’s handmade pasta and mouthwatering Italian classics will transport you to a vibrant Italian town that is conveniently only inhabited by friendly waiting staff and competent chefs. Make sure to book early because this popular Italian restaurant sees a full house almost every night.
Contact: Geyersworthstrasse 5A, +49 951 91700481
Eckerts – Wirsthaus und Esszimmer
Eckerts – Wirsthaus und Esszimmer boasts one of the best views of the river in Bamberg. Though not as long-established as other Bavarian restaurants (a few can say they have existed since the 15th century) Eckerts has become a town favorite. Serving classics with a twist, be sure to stop by if you are in the mood for something wholeheartedly Bavarian yet undeniably modern.
Contact: Obere Muhlbrucke 9, +49 951 9842500
For great local food at very reasonable prices and the chance to try Bamberg’s unmissable smoked beer, stop in to Spezial. This Bavarian brewery and restaurant gives punters a perfect taste of Bamberg life; a hit with the locals, a classic menu and traditional building combine to create a place that is perfectly representative of the quaint little town it calls home.
Contact: Obere Konigstrasse 10, +49 951 24304
Rathausschaenke is a rustic inn offering Franconian food as tapas or small plates. Enjoy this unusual yet refreshingly delightful combination of the Mediterranean with the Bavarian at one of the tables outside where you will be treated to a view of the town hall and the Regnitz. This is the perfect spot to chow down on some great food and sip a cold one as the world goes by.
Opening hours: 11:00 am – 12:00 am
Watch out for: The bratwurst
Contact: Obere Brucke 3, +49 951 2080890
For a truly historic meal, look no further than Restaurant Altenburg. Located inside an ancient castle that has existed since 1109, this family-run restaurant offers memorable meals with a grandeur difficult to replicate anywhere else in the world. With clear Bavarian influences, the dishes are still refreshing and undeniably modern. Stop by for a dinner that you will not stop talking about for years to come.
Contact: Altenburger Str 1, +49 951 56828
Serving Franconian food with a smile, Hofbraeu is located in a beautiful art nouveau building and exudes a welcoming yet wholly refined atmosphere. Exotic influences collide with Bavarian classics to create a menu unlike others in Bamberg; the dining experience is one-of-a-kind, and you will struggle to find a Franconian meal that will match it. If you value food over history, then Hofbraeu should be top of your list.
Contact: Karolinenstrasse 7, 09512978774
With a strict emphasis on organic and eco-friendly produce, Kornblume is a vegetarian’s dream (though meat-eaters, you haven’t been forgotten). If you like your Franconian food fresh, fast and guilt-free, then Kornblume is perfect for you. You will leave will a satisfied stomach and clear conscience.
Contact: Kapellenstrasse 22, 09519171760
As Bamberg’s oldest wirsthaus, Zum Sternla is seeped in history. Even if you don’t have the time (or the stomach space) to sit down for a full meal, Zum Strenla has a great Brotzeit (snack) menu. If you do fancy staying longer they serve hearty portions of Franconian favorites such as Matjessosse and apple fritters. With a mainly local clientele and a welcoming vibe, Zum Strenla is a Bamberg institution and should not be overlooked if you are in search of authentic Franconian dining.
Contact: Langer Strasses 46, +49 951 287 50
As the oldest brewery in Bamberg, Klosterbraeu is a popular spot for tourists looking to learn more about the history of the town’s obsession with beer and the production of it. After sampling one of Klosterbraeu’s Franconian dishes and washing it down with an equally satisfying home-brewed ale, you will have the opportunity to join one the brewery’s tours. If you like your meals with a hearty side order of history then remember to stop by at Klosterbraeu.
Contact: Obere Muhlbrucke 1-3, +49 522 65
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.