It doesn’t take a religious mind to appreciate the spectacular cathedrals and churches in Germany. They are steeped in history – sometimes glorious, often turbulent – and boast jaw-dropping workmanship. Stay with us as we take you on a tour of the soaring spires, ornate domes, gorgeous stained-glass windows, and rich heritage of Germany’s religious architecture.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As far as cathedrals in Germany go, Cologne Cathedral is unrivaled. This stunning Gothic cathedral is a World Heritage Site and the most visited site in Germany. Tall spires soaring to the skies, the flying pinnacles, and the magnificent carvings adorning the exterior and interior of this cathedral add up to no less than a feast for the eyes. Entry to the cathedral is free but paid guided tours of the excavations, the roof and the treasury are also offered.
Dresden Church of Our Lady
The city of Dresden is known for its mind-blowing architecture, a jewel among which is the Dresden Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche). This 18th-century church was hit hard during the Second World War, but emerged as beautiful as ever out of its ashes in the late 20th century. The builders relied on old photographs and documents and even used a large amount of material salvaged from the ruins of the church to recreate this architectural wonder.
Standing proud as the tallest church steeple in the world (161.5 meters / 530 feet), Ulm Minster is among the most admired pieces of Gothic architecture in Europe. It took long enough to be built (513 years: 1377-1890) but the wait was sure worth it. Visitors from all over the world come here to gawk at intricately carved oak choir stalls, life-like sculptures and splendid stained-glass windows. If you are up to the challenge of climbing 768 steps to the spire, you will be rewarded with an unbeatable view over the entire city and beyond.
Pilgrimage Church of Wies
One of the most popular stops along Germany’s famed Romantic Road, the lovely oval Pilgrimage Church of Wies (Wieskirche), sits at the feet of the imposing Bavarian Alps. This church, with rather simple architecture, shot into fame with the discovery of tears on the eyes of a wooden sculpture of the Scourged Saviour in 1738. As more and more pilgrims started flocking to the church, with many claiming to have had their wishes granted and diseases cured by praying here, the church was considerably expanded and beautiful frescoes, stucco work, and murals added to further enhance the attraction of the site.
Church of Our Blessed Lady, Munich
The Church of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche) with its unique saddleback roof defines the silhouette of the bustling city of Munich and can be spotted from miles away. This simple, elegant church was built out of reddish brick in Gothic style in the 12th century. As with most architecture in the country, it suffered heavy damage during the WWII, and its reconstruction was complete by the end of the 20th century. Once inside, visitors are enamored by precious artwork, stained-glass windows, sculptures, and ten famous bells known for their beautiful resonance.
Aachen Cathedral is one of the oldest churches in Germany and was the very first landmark in the country to be bestowed with the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Center. Aachen Cathedral is not just a visually pleasing piece of architecture, but has immense historical and religious importance. Built by Charlemagne around 805 AD as the nucleus of his kingdom, Aachen Cathedral has seen the coronation of emperors for over six centuries; it is also the resting place of Charlemagne himself. The treasure trove, including priceless sculptures and artworks, preserved within the cathedral’s walls has few rivals in Europe.
The immense and strikingly ornate dome of the Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom), topped with a lantern and four domed towers flanking it, is an iconic landmark of Berlin‘s skyline. The architecture of this cathedral is an unbeatable harmony of Italian High Renaissance and Baroque styles. The octagonal interior is jaw-dropping in its grandeur. You can spend hours admiring the marble and onyx altar, striking mosaic work, intricate sculptures, the marble baptismal font, and the painting of the Descent of the Holy Spirit.
The spectacular six-towered Mainz Cathedral towers over the city of Mainz on the banks of the River Rhine. This 1000-year-old cathedral is unanimously regarded by architecture enthusiasts to be one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in the country. The walls of the cathedral protect tombs of princes and archbishops who enjoyed tremendous power and influence during their reign. If you wish to learn more about the history of the cathedral and its social, political and religious influence on the city, head to the cathedral museum.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.