Known as Germany’s fairytale state, Bavaria is far more than the sum of its resplendent castles and magnificent mountains.
For generations, locals have re-interpreted special Bavarian traditions by bridging the gap between the old or new – or simply, by being traditionally different. You only have to travel to destinations such as Bayreuth, Nuremberg, Munich, Füssen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen to experience this enchanting quality in Bavaria’s food scene, musical delights and authentic Bavarian stories.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best bit? There’s a happily ever after no matter where your interests lie.
Bavarie, BMW Welt, Munich
Combining French style with local Bavarian produce, this destination brasserie is big on sustainability. Featuring an open kitchen, you can watch the chefs whip up everything from perfectly executed classics to Germanic dishes. It’s also a great place to relax and admire the views over the Olympic Park as you mull over which BMW model to try next.
Surfing in the English Garden, Munich
It’s fair to say that surfing isn’t the first thing that springs to mind when you mention Munich. Still, Germany’s third-largest city is becoming known for the daredevil surfers who tackle the fast-flowing Eisbach river whatever the weather. When spectating gets too much, grab a Stein in the park’s Biergarten or enjoy the city-wide views from the Grecian bandstand.
There are music festivals and then there’s Bardentreffen – a grand, open-air affair that’s been held since 1976. Over 200,000 visitors descend upon the old town of Nuremberg each year to enjoy performances in front of Frauenkirche – from big names to up-and-coming musicians. The three-day programme covers all genres, so you’re guaranteed to find something to tickle your fancy.
The Felsengange Escape Room, Nuremberg
Escape rooms are so 2019, but this one’s big on atmosphere: it’s in the Nuremberg’s medieval tunnels. The labyrinthine rock-cut cellars – originally used to store beer – provide the perfect backdrop for solving clues around the city to help you find the hidden treasure. If you’re successful, follow up with a victory Rotbier in the microbrewery on site.
Winter hiking, Füssen
A two-hour train hop from Munich, the so-beautiful-it-hurts Füssen is a nature lover’s dream. So grab your boots, bike or skis and take your pick from the many tree-studded mountain trails. A one-hour trek to the fairytale castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau is a great way to take in the stunning views, and the satisfaction of conquering that killer gradient is unbeatable.
Museum der Stadt Füssen, Füssen
If your legs are a bit wobbly from the mountains, stay in Füssen and wander around this little gem of a museum. Housed in a former monastery, the museum showcases the tiny town’s history as a European centre of violin and lute making. You’ll soon understand why Füssen gets dubbed the romantic soul of Bavaria when you see the lovingly restored baroque building and the fairytale library.
The Margravial Opera House, Bayreuth
This 1748 jewel in Bavaria’s musical crown is the most important and best-preserved example of a baroque court theatre. It reopened in 2018 after a six-year €30 million renovation restored it to its decadent former glory as one of many stunning buildings in Germany. The sheer extravagance of the OTT murals and trompe l’oeil details need to be seen to be believed.
Maisel’s Beer World, Bayreuth
No visit to Germany is complete without tasting the beer. At Maisel’s, possibly the world’s most diverse beer museum, you can take a tour, watch the brewing process and sample one of the 100 craft beers available in the original 1887 brewery building. If you’re here in May, check out the annual Weissbier (wheat beer) festival.
‘Living Workshops’, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Germany’s highest peak, the Zugspitze, can be found in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a ski town that is quickly getting an enviable reputation for its immersive ‘living workshops’. It’s full of traditional craft businesses, from bakers to ski makers, who open their doors to curious visitors, allowing them to peek behind the scenes and have a go themselves.
The panoramic views from the AlpspiX platform, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Nobody could ever accuse Garmisch-Partenkirchen of lacking spectacular views. But the AlpspiX lookout platform takes things to the next level. The 1,000-metre-high X-shaped structure extends from the cliff edge, showcasing the jaw-dropping panorama of the surrounding peaks. It’s an enjoyable experience if you can get past feeling like you’re walking on thin air.
Culture, traditions, and extraordinary experiences are waiting to be discovered in Bavaria. Be inspired by visiting bavaria.by.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.