We take a closer look at Melt!, the music festival where imposing stages often outperform artists.
Known as “The City of Iron”, Ferropolis is a vast industrial complex in Germany where giant machinery has been left to rust. Since 2000, the space has also hosted the annual Melt! music festival and the iron structures are used as part of the stage for international acts to perform on.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You might also like: What to Know About Melt! Festival 2018
The grounds of Ferropolis are surrounded by Lake Gremmin, essentially creating a moat around the festival. As you can imagine, particularly in summer, party-goers are keen to dive in and cool off in the water. Luckily this is encouraged, with guards on duty and even security boats circling the area. There is even a man-made beach to allow for the proper holiday experience, although you will always notice the old coal mining excavators that dominate the space.
It’s this blend of ideas that separates Melt! from other festivals. Wondering around the site you will initially be taken aback by the huge industrial machines, but there is more to explore. The forest behind the main stage seemingly continues for miles and it’s impossible to resist the illuminated pathways in the evenings.
You might also like: Welcome to Elrow, the Oldest Party in Town
Ferropolis, for the majority of the year, is an open air museum. There are other festivals that take place here at other times, but Melt! is by far the best known. In fact, one of its regular highlights has achieved cult status.
The Sleepless Floor, located just slightly away from the main entrance, is a 24/7 dance floor that runs non-stop for the duration of the festival. That’s over 90 hours of pounding electronic beats. This is as close to a long weekend in Berlin as you’re likely to get without actually going to the city itself!
Although Berlin is the place most people will fly into if attending Melt! from abroad, it’s worth highlighting that Gräfenhainichen (where Ferropolis is located) is at least a couple of hours away by road. Leipzig is slightly closer, and with a growing reputation of its own, is perhaps the best option for those looking to attend. If you had ideas about splitting your time between the machines and the art of Berlin, then forget about it. The commute between the two is exhausting. For more about getting to the festival, check out our handy guide.
Every year the line-up is eclectic. The dance music favoured by young Germans is obviously present, but there is also a fair amount of more mainstream pop and rock. The headliners this year were Florence and the Machine and The XX. Both have played the festival circuit extensively in the last few years, so were hardly newcomers, but still delivered energetic performances which were enhanced by the lights illuminating the machinery around them.
You might also like: Why Sound Systems Are as Important as Music
In the evenings, during the main sets and just afterwards, there are pyrotechnics attached to the metal structures and a light performance to enjoy.
Other stages, although away from the main area, are well worth visiting too. For a more relaxed experience, the forest has several spaces to sit down and enjoy more chilled out tunes. This is also the best spot to catch the sunset from as it offers an unspoilt view of the lake.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.