The Curves are Berlin’s all-female motorcycle club and powerful girl gang, with a passion for speed, mechanics and motorcycles. These women are redefining the hyper-masculine image of riding a motorbike and showing the scene who’s boss. We met with one of the leader of the gang, Cäthe Pfläging, to chat bikes, festivals and what it takes to be a part of the Curves.
Get to know the Curves
Before starting the Curves, Cäthe Pfläging had been riding and attending motorcycle festivals in Germany and across Europe for some time. She began to notice that women rarely came together at these events: “there were always a lot of motorbikes in Germany and there were one or two girls that I knew who were riding, but they didn’t know each other and they were always riding alone,” she explains. In an effort to create more of a community between the women riding bikes Cäthe, along with eleven other girls decided to come together and create an all-female crew. And so, the Curves was born.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Four years on they’ve grown in size and popularity, but the crew remains a tight-knit group, “it’s like a family,” explains Cäthe. To maintain this atmosphere the group has a level of exclusivity, and when asked if anyone can join, Pfläging laughs and shakes her head, “no, you need to ride with us for a whole year, and if you’re still on it and love it then you can become a member.”
For the 20-woman strong crew, riding together regularly is a bit part of the Curves, “we go riding regularly and do appearances at a lot of festivals,” says Cäthe. These rides and appearances are a source of inspiration, as their strong, fearless persona is shown in the crew’s effortlessly cool online presence and well-documented trips: “if girls see us out there unafraid and proving it’s not that difficult, they’ll be more inclined to try it (motorcycle riding),” says Cäthe.
Their presence and attitude around motorcycles undeniably cement the Curves as role models for women, and they’re also working hands-on to get more women showing up in the scene. As the multifaceted crew also “do mechanical workshops in the winter, riding training for men and women and bike building,” for Cäthe training is a big way to help give women the confidence to ride.
Women on motorcycles
There has been a shift in the motorcycle scene over the past decade which has helped welcome women into the scene. As Cäthe explains, “the boys’ group got more diverse, and it was looking a bit more friendly and younger.” It was around this time that the number of women riding bikes increased, “it looked more fun and colourful, not just leather-wearing guys, everything got less serious and that’s how the girls became apart of the picture, I think,” says Cäthe. Statistics back this up, with the Motorcycle Industry Council reporting an increase of 52% in female bikers in the US between 2003-2008, and MAG UK highlighting that 525,000 women in the UK now hold motorcycle licenses. Cäthe says encouraging women to get their licence can be the first step to getting women on bikes, “with the motorcycle licence, we have to shake them up and say come on, do something dangerous once in a while!”
This is why training and understanding the mechanics of bikes is also important: “motorcycling is a demanding sport and one where you need to understand the mechanics, some women just need encouragement,” says Cäthe. The Curves provide this encouragement through their training, “we do training, we invite everybody, boys and girls, but it’s usually 60% favour in girls.” Although the training is mixed, the ratio of men to women can be motivating, “if more girls are in it they see they need to step up, they encourage each other and push each other,” explains Cäthe.
The Curves are proving that riding a motorcycle isn’t a man-made scene, and aside from the training they’re also getting their hands dirty by building bikes and running mechanical workshops. The Curves also have their “own all-girls festivals, which our member Irene Kotnik founded and it’s so great that she’s done this, with all her heart and soul,” Cäthe says. The festival is called Petrolettes and runs every year in July, bringing together women from across Europe to race, ride and have an awesome time.
Started in 2016, the Petrolettes Festival is the embodiment of the clubs fun, boundary-pushing ethos. “This festival is only for women and strange and beautiful women are coming from all over Europe and the world,” Cäthe explains. The all-female affair is still small in size, “it’s a cute and tiny festival, about 350 girls,” says Cäthe, however it provides a space for women in the scene to let their hair down and have fun at the races in an environment that is more inclusive than bigger festivals.
Women are invited to come alone and camp at the festival based just outside of Berlin, and the weekend is filled with plenty of events and entertainment. It’s a huge mix of talks, rides, marketplaces, concerts, yoga sessions and plenty of positive vibes. Starting on July 20, the festival runs throughout the weekend and promises a wild, wonderful and inclusive atmosphere for the badass women in motorcycling.
Encompassing all areas of the motorcycle scene and actively inviting and encouraging women to get involved, the Curves are breaking down barriers and setting a strong example for women in Berlin and beyond.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.