Leipzig has long been defined ‘Little Berlin’, with many finding familiarity in its gritty corners, innovative hubs and the blending of old and new. However, with a redefining contemporary arts scene and a rep as the original home of techno, the city is defining itself as its own cultural hub. We spoke with Franziska Jaster, the Director of Galerie EIGEN + ART in Leipzig, about the city’s thriving art scene, underground nightlife and why young artists are drawn to Leipzig.
Can you tell me a bit about your artistic background?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
My mother is an art teacher, and therefore I grew up with art. She is also a mathematics teacher, and this combination inspired me. I also studied art history, cultural studies and business administration in Bremen and Leipzig, completing these studies in 2009. During this time, I did internships in galleries, and after a short trip abroad I started a traineeship in the Galerie EIGEN + ART in Leipzig in autumn 2009.
So, you’ve been with EIGEN + ART for some time – tell me a bit about the gallery.
The gallery in Leipzig is characterized by its fantastic architecture – a white cube, 14 x 14 meters, flooded with natural and artificial light, offering exhibition conditions that every artist desires. From a historical point of view, the Leipzig branch of Galerie EIGEN + ART is also special. We have a second permanent location, as well as the EIGEN + ART Lab, the young project space of the gallery, in Berlin. However, the concept was started here, in Leipzig in the apartment of Gerd Harry Lybke in 1983. Now, the gallery has found its home on the premises of the former Baumwollspinnerei, or spinning mill. It is a place filled with creativity – it’s a network of artists, galleries, art institutions, workshops and other creative pursuits, for creators, by creators.
What is the art scene/culture like in Leipzig?
The art scene is vibrant. As we have permanent art institutions, like the Academy of Visual Arts, there is always a generation of new artists. They perceive, change and form the city with a different view. There are off spaces and art clubs run by other artists in the city who organise different programs and events. Twice a year, we also have ‘LindeNow’ in the neighbourhoods of Plagwitz and Lindenau. It’s an alternative gallery tour that highlights the rich contemporary art scene in Leipzig. Above all, it brings people together and creates a community, and that’s the culture of Leipzig: people who inspire other people.
What do you take from the city and its art scene?
Leipzig offers free space. There are plenty of empty building or shops that can be utilised and designed. The luxury of the city is that your ideas can be realised, and you can feel that here, too. There is a free spirit and wealth of discovery; it’s a city in which you can find new avenues and directions. And it’s not only in art – the startup scene has also discovered this energy for itself.
Is there much of an underground party scene in the city?
Many party locations are now released and rented. The fact that in Leipzig, the curfew has never really been enforced, means you can celebrate all night long. Therefore, it has become rare that parties are not published, or well known. Of course, there are still the wild basement parties in demolished houses, or even the parties where the place is secret until the beginning – these kinds of parties spread via SMS or email, quite old-school.
How do you think this is affecting the Leipzig art scene? Is it helping attract more artists to live and work in the city?
I think the character of the city, the openness of the people, the space you can find here, but also the closeness to nature make Leipzig an attractive, young and vibrant city. As an artist, it is important to find a good art school and a lot of inspiring, quiet places to work, but also variety and nightlife. Leipzig has a lot of that. There are usually other places where the artists meet, bars, empty houses, wherever someone has had the idea of organizing an exhibition or party. The arts scene is also comparatively small, so you meet again quickly, and you do not have to wait because there is usually just one party in the evening everyone goes to.
Counter-cultural movements often intersect, i.e., politics, music, art. Do you think nightlife, particularly the underground culture of techno, affects the art culture of a city?
Yes, of course, I think there are great conditions for this culture. In turn, they encourage other areas that also work creatively. Leipzig is known for the electro scene, where you can dance in great clubs like Distillery or IFZ, and well-known DJs are often coming to Leipzig. So, even if not all the artists constantly go to the clubs and dance all night long, there is a connection between the club scene and the art scene.
What do you think the Leipzig art scene will look like in the next few years?
I have lived here since 2006, and the art scene has always been young and alive, so I think it will continue in the coming years. Maybe the places are shifting, everything is happening outside because rents are rising and space is running out. But in any case, the young wild ones will come up with something new.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.