In the villages of the Bavarian forest in south-eastern Germany, right up near the Czech border and nearly three hours’ drive from any major city, many ancient traditions remain. One of the most tourist-friendly is Wolfauflassen, a yearly spectacle in which men from various villages ring cowbells and crack five-and-a-half metre-long whips as loud as they can, for as long as they can.
Who’s afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Back when wolves roamed the Bavarian forests and shepherds herded cattle in the mountains, the risk of having your animals eaten by one such a creature was quite high. Cattle aren’t exactly the sharpest knifes in the drawer, and wolves certainly make up for in agility and stamina what the cow has in sheer size. And anyway, wolves know just as well as we do how great veal tastes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When the cattle were driven down to the valley in the autumn, the wolf remained in the mountains and so wasn’t a threat. In March, when the shepherd drove the herd up into the mountain pastures to eat through the summer, it was game on.
As the cattle were being driven up the mountain, the boys from the local village would make a lot of noise and ring bells to scare the wolves. Cows wore bells around their necks for the same purpose. During this process, the shepherd would also crack his goaßl, a sort of whip extremely loudly.
In November, when all the cattle had been returned safely to the farmer in the valley, the shepherds would put the bells on themselves, run around town cracking the five-and-a-half metre-long whips used to scare wolves who came too close and generally make a hell of a racket, before demanding to be paid their yearly wage. All that noise was mostly in aid of celebrating another successful pasture season, but had the additional benefit of scaring away any demons lurking around the village.
Can I scare away wolves/demons?
Sort of. These days, the Wolfauslassen is a tradition in many Bavarian villages, particularly so in Rinchnach, a village on the Czech border 200 kilometres north-west of Munich. Every year on November 9–10, thousands of tourists join the people of Rinchnach to chase away wolves with 1,370 bells. In other villages, the day is usually November 11.
The 20–90 centimetre-high bells weigh up to 35 kilograms and are carried around the hips or on the shoulders in rows, going house-to-house through the village. Each house in the village is visited and when the owner answers, the leader of the bell ringers – the shepherd – stops the noise, recites a bit of verse and asks for his payment. Once the shepherd is given some coins, the group moves on to the next house. When all village houses have been visited, everyone retires to the pub. Tradition! In Rinchnach, a competition between bell-ringers from neighbouring villages over who can make the loudest noise lasts well into the night. But then again, that’s half the fun.
Wolf Watch 2018
After being hunted to extinction in the 19th century, wolves were re-introduced to Germany in 2000. There are now thought to be around 160 adults forming 60 packs living happily in the forests of Brandenburg and Saxony. There’s no word yet on whether they have made it south to the Bavarian Forest, but if they do, you can bet the Wolfauslassern will be ready.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.