If you’re heading to Bavaria for a ski break, then Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the place to go. It found fame when it hosted the Winter Olympics in 1936 and is still a regular stop on the Ski World Cup circuit. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen – bookable on Culture Trip.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen sits at the foot of the Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany. It’s famed for having excellent ski conditions, with the most challenging run being the 4km (2mi) Kandahar slope. Garmisch, in the west, is slightly more modern, while Partenkirchen is all traditional cobblestoned streets. Both have access to 60km (37mi) of fantastic skiing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dating back more than 110 years, this luxury spa hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen was established by Franz-Josef Staudacher who moved here from Tirol in 1907, and it’s still run by the Staudacher family today. Its ethos prioritises high-quality suites, the best service and immersion in nature and wellbeing. The hotel comprises three buildings, including the old farmhouse, with renovated rooms and big balcony views.
The Werdenfelserei, in Garmisch, is known as the Solid Wood Hotel. Aside from all the wood, nearly every single part of the building is made from natural materials, from the furniture to the culinary offerings and wine list. This hotel has a firm eye on the environment and maintains strong ethical values. It’s an elegant mix of traditional and modern alpine style, and there’s a rooftop pool looking out at the Zugspitze, too.
The rooms and suites at this hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen are inspired by their surroundings, from the use of untreated wood (producing that distinctive alpine scent) to the natural bed linen and metal-free beds. The very shape of the building was modelled on the mountain ridge behind. This is an innovative, modern take on the traditional ski chalet. There’s also an in-house library, a roof terrace and a restaurant focussing on the regional and creative, including beef tartare and Hawaiian poke bowls.
Sitting within the rolling forest, backed by the Bavarian Alps, the Schloss Elmau is a 25-minute drive from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It’s more than just a hotel. The enormous spa has seven pools, Taijiquan yoga retreats, a quaint bookstore and even a concert hall, which often hosts acclaimed classical artists and author talks. The decor is traditional opulence all over, brought up to date with considered modern touches.
In the heart of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is where you’ll find the wonderfully alpine Reindls Partenkirchner Hof. Dating back to 1911, the building is made up of traditional, dark alpine wood. The old ballroom has been transformed into a Michelin-starred restaurant, serving river-caught pikeperch with tarragon sauce, alongside a selection of excellent German wines. It’s certainly one for foodies.
A huge, traditional, alpine building from the outside, the Hotel Zugspitze isn’t just your average mountain hotel. With your stay, you’re offered a free tai chi course and afternoon tea every day, plus pets are welcome, too. For ultimate luxury, book the suite Zugspitze with a roaring open fire and balcony views over the mountains. The gondola is just a short walk from this hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Just outside Garmisch, you’ll find Hotel Längenfelder Hof with cross-country ski trails on the doorstep. Clip in and schuss off through the snow-laden trees. Despite its traditional exterior, inside you’ll find modern, chalet-chic rooms with plump pillows and the essential Nespresso coffee machine. The breakfast buffet here is particularly good with fresh local bread and gluten-free options, too. Top it off with a much-needed back massage, using local honey.
A four-star oasis at the foot of the Zugspitze mountain, Eibsee-Hotel is on the edge of the beautiful lake Eibsee, which often freezes over in winter – adding to the winter wonderland vibes. While the hotel is a quiet retreat and might seem completely off the grid, it’s also only 471 steps to the Zugspitze cable car, which takes you up to ski on the glacier pistes.
Less than a half-hour drive from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Das Kranzbach is enchanting, set amid snowy forests and white-capped mountains – you’ll never want to leave. Built more than 100 years ago, the building – originally the personal resort of British aristocrat Mary Isabel Portman – is now a dreamy retreat with five pools (including one outside), saunas, steam baths and even a yoga centre.
The Kreuzjochhaus looks exactly the way you want a mountain chalet to – clad in wood with a sloping roof covered in snow. At an altitude of 1,585m (5,200ft), the renovated hut is ideal for a weekend winter getaway. It’s ski-in, ski-out, and there’s 110km (68mi) of snowshoeing trails to explore in the area. Start the day with a yoga class from teacher Andrea and finish your day unwinding in the sauna, with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the snowy mountaintops.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.