Berlin is renowned for its thriving nightlife, for being a mecca of alternative culture, and a hub for artists of all kinds. It doesn’t take a great deal of searching to find, well, anything you might want in this vibrant playground. Still, amidst the articles, reviews and ads for great places to eat, unusual bars, 24-hour clubbing venues, exhibitions and live performances, Berlin’s small but thriving international comedy scene has often appeared overlooked.
The international comedy scene is exciting because it’s so new. It has only emerged within the past few years. Until very recently, you’d struggle to find information about international comedy in the ‘must see’ guides to city; even in the so-called ‘alternative’ ones. Even two years ago, despite the existence of a few well established regular nights, shows were few and far between.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fortunately, a few dedicated people have created an underground and perhaps under-appreciated scene in a city where alternative is mainstream, and something authentic can be hard to find when everyone is trying so hard to be unusual.
Nowadays, you can find an international comedy event almost any night of the week. The first permanent, international comedy stage was established at the Comedy Café Berlin, located at Roseggerstraße in Neukölln. Opened October 2015, the crowd-funded project provides a permanent venue for a variety of comedy acts to perform all through the weekend, as well as offering a venue for improv courses.
With regular nights such as ‘We Are Not Gemüsed’ every Tuesday (created by pioneers of Berlin English comedy Caroline Clifford and Paul Salamone), and ‘Adorable Creatures’ open mic every Friday, Neukölln seems to have emerged as Berlin’s comedy capital. It’s unsurprising given Neukölln’s appeal as a centre for alternative culture, but international comedy is by no means exclusive to Neukölln. Maggie Café at Frankfurter Allee, Lichtenberg, provides a venue for regular comedy nights, Cosmic Comedy serves Mitte with a slice of comedy (and pizza) every Monday, Wedding is treated to Baum Haus Comedy Cabaret every month at The Royal Wedding Festival, and Petri Dish delivers Kreuzberg a regular dose of comedy with shows two Wednesdays out of the month.
Sometimes mixed with cabaret performances, and located in some of the more unique clubs around the city, international comedy shows have a distinct Berlin flavor. In essence, the international comedy scene embodies one of the best aspects of contemporary Berlin: a diverse and international group of people coming together in a very informal way to do something that they love, and everyone can join in. The beauty of it is that it still has the essence of ground-up movement, with open mic nights creating a self-fuelling recruitment process for new talent.
Some of the acts are straight off the boat from Australia or America, and haven’t adapted their material to their new audience, but natural selection runs its course and those that don’t adapt don’t survive. Regulars of the scene deliver consistently entertaining performances whilst often delivering new material.
Take the work of American comic David Hailey, now a familiar face on the international comedy circuit. His performance in 2013 was less than impressive: very American humour with little that an international, Berlin audience could relate to, but his contemporary work will fill a large basement room with laughter despite the small audience. The international comedy scene in Berlin has developed to the point where comedians such as the Russian-born Alex Upatov, and the fantastic Stefan Danziger, perform in other cities as representatives of Berlin’s comedy talent.
Check out Comedy in English for more information.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.