Berlin might be a concrete jungle, but that doesn’t mean humans are its only inhabitants. Berlin is crawling with a number of furry critters, and we don’t mean the animals held captive in the zoo or those that form part of the mammoth taxidermy collection at the Museum of Natural Sciences. Berlin still has some wild, overgrown corners, for those willing to take a closer look. Here is a guide to some of the wildlife you might find if you’re prepared to seek it out.
Berlin is a wild city, but it’s not the free, open, and fun-loving people that make it so. Surprisingly for most, Berlin has its own animal kingdom, with an estimated nine thousand-strong population of feathered, furry, and fluffy creatures. But where the heck are they hiding? Our four-legged friends have had to adapt with the capital’s growth, making new habitats out of the city’s man-made structures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The tower of the Rotes Rathaus for example, is believed to be home to a family of peregrine falcons. The birds have been a rarity in Germany since they almost went extinct in the 1970s, but seem to be making a comeback, shacking up with the governing mayor of Berlin in the town hall near Alexanderplatz.
The falcons aren’t the only tenants nesting in Berlin’s nooks and crannies. Not far off, the U5 extension construction site has attracted a family of foxes, and there is also evidence of a burrowing wild rabbit population, with a few rabbit holes dotted around a patch of land near the Spree. The foxes previously lived in an abandoned building, but when that got developed they moved to their current site, and will probably move again when the construction is complete.
The racoons are also thriving. Although not even native to Germany, they came to Berlin in 1945 and were set loose after WWII, with their ability to adapt causing their population grow in its hundreds. Wild boars are also the guardians of the Grunewald forests, and you can hear the large beasts grunt and rustle in the trees as they move. Most of them are used to human presence by now, but you still need to respect them and their space to avoid any potential conflict.
Compared to other cities, Berlin is quite animal friendly, considering the vastnesses of the city, as well as the abundance of green space (around 42 percent) it offers. What’s more, Berlin has a variety of different terrains that attract a diversity of species. From leafy green forests, to lakes, waterways and sandy patches, Berlin has over 20,000 different resident plant and animal species. Hunting is also downright illegal in Berlin, so the biggest threats the animals have are traffic, habitat loss, and competition.
This is an ode to the animals of Berlin, who are also trying to survive, adapt and stay wild in an ever-narrowing habitat. So next time you take a meander through one of Berlin’s parks, or go for a stroll through the beautiful forests near the water, keep your eyes peeled for nature’s furry friends who also call this beautiful city home.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.