‘There should be a reason for having an orchestra – not just to play music,’ says Kristjan Järvi, internationally successful conductor and co-founder of the Baltic Sea Philharmonic. It’s an orchestra that wants to bring not only beautiful music, but peace to a politically divided Baltic region, raise awareness of nature and create a platform for unity, change and innovation.
The origins of this orchestra lay in the Baltic Sea Youth Orchestra, which was founded in 2008. The cornerstone has always been a comprehensive musical education, which led to the creation of the Baltic Sea Music Education Foundation. This foundation holds an academy offering intense workshops, seminars and coachings for not only young orchestra musicians but also conductors and composers. What makes this foundation stand out from others is their rootedly different approach to classical music, away from perfectionism and focus on technique towards a musical unity. All their efforts earned them the European Cultural Prize of the European Foundation for Culture ‘Pro Europe’ in 2015. In April 2016, a fully professional orchestra was founded as the logical continuation of their work – the Baltic Sea Philharmonic. Chief conductor and music director Kristjan Järvi explains, ‘Music is not about right or wrong. When I rehearse with the orchestra I mostly let them play. I do not care about right or wrong notes, but what I teach them is to phrase and create a bigger picture.’
Kristjan Järvi explains further about this way of making music: ‘We are going beyond any expectation of what an orchestra should be. There should be a reason to have an orchestra. Not only music but a bigger purpose. When I started to work with these wonderful young musicians I taught them first of all how to breathe together, how to think as one, how to feel each other and how to phrase together. Only then have we created a unity and a mutual understanding of each and every one of us. And this is what then spreads to the audience and further into society.’ A wonderfully peaceful approach and really, the instant the orchestra plays its first notes it becomes evident that they work extremely well together. Every transition, every change in tempo or phrasing is synced. Just as if they had been playing together for all their lives and not just since April this year. ‘When we play, Kristjan’s energy is incredible. What he is able to bring out in each and every one of us is just amazing. We musicians have to be extremely watchful and attentive when he is conducting; you cannot rely on anything we rehearsed, but this creates a marvelous flow and I can barely sit still when playing,’ says one of the viola players.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Baltic Sea Philharmonic brings together musicians from all ten countries surrounding the Baltic Sea (Sweden, Norway, Germany, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Russia, Latvia, Poland and Denmark). The orchestra recently rounded off their Baltic Sea Discovery Tour, playing concerts in Gdansk, Kaliningrad, Klaipeda and other cities at the shore of the Baltic Sea. Every concert they have played so far has been so full of energy and positive vibes that it earned them standing ovations. The orchestra also released its first CD, Wagner / The Ring in early September 2016.
Next to the orchestra’s educational mission stands their commitment to the environment. Several pieces in their repertoire have nature as their core theme, such as the Swansong by Arvo Pärt, Tschaikovsky’s famous Swan Lake in a new arrangement by Kristjan Järvi, or Never Ignore the Cosmic Ocean by Gediminas Gelgotas. ‘Environment is a very important word for us, in two different senses,’ the music director states in an interview. ‘As humans we create the environment between each other. But we also have to be connected to the greater environment in our daily lives. Then we realize that there are no differences between people or nationalities. The whole planet is ours. It doesn’t matter where you come from or what your story is: we must take care of each other, and of the Earth. Nature does not need us. Humans have become a parasite to Earth but it is us humans who have made us into that and it is us humans who can change that.’
The motto of the orchestra is to go ‘beyond borders, beyond culture, beyond countries and beyond music’. Gidon Kremer, internationally renowned violinist from Latvia and soloist playing with the orchestra says about the project, ‘I hope for discovery – not just on land and in concerts halls, but also in learning and experiencing unknown music together, and growing with it. Young people carry the responsibility for our future, and this also relates to music. Sure, we may not change the world, but we can still have a positive impact on those people who attend our concerts. It is possible to fight many prejudices.’ What better way to fight prejudices than with the most beautiful weapon in the world – music.
To find out more about this orchestra check out their website, facebook and YouTube.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.