Hamburg is one of the richest cities in Europe and a shopping paradise for any fashion lover. The shopping malls, shops and boutiques of its diverse districts will delight everyone from luxury lovers to vintage clothing obsessives. Read our insider guide to discovering the best of Hamburg’s fashion scene.
Where to shop
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The streets around Jungfernstieg and Neuer Wall are the best places in Hamburg to discover luxury brands and famous designers. At the heart of this area stands the elegant Alsterhaus department store, opened in 1912. With over five floors, shoppers can indulge in high-quality perfumes and international fashion designers, as well as gourmet foods. Stop to get a makeover in one of the beauty lounges and enjoy gorgeous views of Lake Alster from the fourth-floor restaurant.
Jungfernstieg 16-20, 20354 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 3590 10
UNGER, Neuer Wall
Next to the Alsterhaus, the Neuer Wall promenade is a cornucopia of luxury shopping. Here you can find everything from iconic fashion labels like Chanel, Gucci and Jil Sander to designer bags by Michael Kors and Louis Vuitton, and jewellery by Cartier and Tiffany. Among these are also traditional Hamburg retailers like the fashion house UNGER that offers over 130 select luxury brands. Founded in 1878, it’s a family business in the 3rd generation and represents a masterful fusion of traditional values and new ideas in both its ambience and in its selection of merchandise.
Neuer Wall 35, 20354 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 6008 850
The shopping streets Spitalerstraße and Mönckebergstraßen in the Old Town are filled with international chains and large department stores. Tucked in between these major names are unique Hamburg locations like Thomas-i-Punkt, founded by the Hamburg designer Thomas Friese. Housed in a beautiful Dutch Renaissance building, the store’s special ambience invites customers to browse its expertly curated collection of select labels, which range from street style to elegant evening attire. Remember to check out Omen, the store’s own brand which is produced exclusively in Hamburg.
Mönckebergstraße 21, 20095 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 3271 72
Herr von Eden, Karolinenviertel
The trendy Karolinenviertel district has become the favourite location for Hamburg’s young fashion designers. If you’re looking for unique fashion items this is the place for you. The most famous designer on the block is Bent Angelo Jensen whose male fashion label Herr von Eden is distinguished by its avant-garde yet elegant and timeless looks. His styles are particularly loved by artists and musicians, from German stars like Jan Delay to international names like Peter Doherty and Michael Stipe.
Marktstraße 33, 20357 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 6506 5200
Marlowe nature, Ottensen
The small streets of Ottensen and Altona districts are known for unique designer boutiques and quirky vintage shops. Here you can find one of the city’s best eco fashion stores – Marlowe nature. From trendy jeans to stylish sweaters, comfy sports clothes to T-shirts made from hemp, this little shop offers a wide selection of Fair Trade items made exclusively from natural textiles. If you value ecological and sustainable production, as well as fair compensation for the people who make it, this is the perfect store for you.
Bahrenfelder Straße 176, 22765 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 2260 4890
Fashion and design markets
A true fashion lover should not pass up the chance to visit one of Hamburg’s design markets. The weekly Der.Die.Sein Markt in the HafenCity showcases the best of the city’s creative scene, from fashion and jewellery to artworks and furniture. At popular flea markets like the weekly Flohschanze and the monthly FlohZinn you’re certain to find unique retro and vintage items. In addition to this, every autumn the Hello Handmade and the Feingemacht exhibitions delight with special handmade goods.
Hamburg designers and fashion labels
Hamburg is home to such world-famous designers as Wolfgang Joop, Karl Lagerfeld and Jil Sander. But an exploration of Hamburg’s lively fashion scene would not be complete without sampling the work of the city’s young up-and-coming fashion designers and fashion labels. There’s unique streetwear like that created by Bitten Stetter or Sarah Beutling and her label [iksi:] XXII Streetwear. High quality feminine fashion like that by Kathrin Musswessels and Maya Ullrich’s Die schöne Lachsin. Or one-of-a-kind knitwear like that by Skörl and Polynoir. Hamburg’s young and hip fashion scene will not disappoint.
Where to eat
In the heart of the city’s shopping district lies the elegant and cosmopolitan restaurant Die Bank Brasserie & Bar. It’s housed in a grand ‘city palace’ that was built in 1897 and served as a bank for over a century. Since 2005 the former counter hall serves as a unique backdrop for enjoying excellent international cuisine with special lunch and dinner menus. When the clock strikes 10 pm the location transforms into a bar offering excellent cocktails, select wines and spirits.
Hohe Bleichen 17, 20354 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 2380 030
clouds Heaven’s Bar & Kitchen
On the top floor of the ‘dancing towers’ (Tanzende Türme) skyscraper you will find clouds Heaven’s Bar & Kitchen, Hamburg’s highest restaurant. Here you can enjoy exceptional seasonal and regional cooking in a truly unique atmosphere. While the restaurant’s speciality is top-quality meats and rotisserie cooking, fish lovers and vegetarians also will be spoiled for choice. You can also stop by for a drink at the bar on the 23rd floor or relax on the 24th-floor rooftop terrace for even more spectacular views across Hamburg.
Reeperbahn 1, 20359 Hamburg, Germany, +49 40 3099 3280
A must-see for every fashion-lover is the Fashion Collection of the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe. It comprises over 10,000 clothing items from the mid-18th century to modern times, including designs of Yves Saint Laurent, Wolfgang Joop, and Alexander McQueen, among others. Highlights of the collection are contemporary Japanese and avant-garde fashion. The sports/no sports special exhibition is open until August 20, 2017 and gives a unique glimpse in the interrelationship between fashion and sportswear and its development over the decades.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.