When summer comes to Hamburg, the locals know better than to sit in endless traffic jams on the way to the seaside. The beautiful white sand beaches along the River Elbe are easy to reach and a perfect spot for when you want to spend the day basking in the sun. Make the most of the warmer months in this beautiful city by visiting a few of the following urban river beaches and feeling the sand under your toes while watching the world go by.
The urban Strand Pauli
No other location embodies Hamburg’s easygoing yet bustling vibe like beach club StrandPauli. Situated next to the St. Pauli Piers (Landungsbrücken), one of the city’s top tourist spots and a major transport hub, the beach club carries you away to a tropical island. Sipping a Caribbean-themed cocktail while lounging on wooden deck under a palm tree, you might even forget that you’re in the middle of the city. That is, until you glance across the water to watch the passing ships and remember that Hamburg is one of Europe’s biggest ports.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The esteemed Elbstrand
The locals’ favourite beach on the River Elbe is the Elbstrand. On a sunny day, you’ll find groups of friends grilling sausages and drinking beer alongside young families with children playing in the sand, and joggers making the most of the scenic running trail. The lively next-door beach bars Ahoi Strandkiosk and Strandperle cater to everything from breakfast to a nightcap. It’s no surprise that in 2017 the New York Times named the Elbstrand among the favorite European waterside locations.
The peaceful Hans-Leip-Ufer
For a little more peace and quiet, make your way downriver to the white sand beach at the Hans-Leip-Ufer. While many pass it by when doing the walk from the Elbstrand to Blankenese, it’s well worth stopping and taking some time to explore the area. A special attraction is the Alter Schwede – the Old Swede – a 217-tonne rock that was carried here from Southern Sweden during an ice age some 400,000 years ago.
The Mediterranean Blankenese
Further downriver lies one of the city’s most charming neighborhoods, Blankenese. Once a fishermen’s village, today it’s one of Hamburg’s most affluent districts. Making your way downhill along the famous district of stairs, passing by historic captains’ houses and modern villas, you’ll reach a sandy beach with a laid-back atmosphere reminiscent of a Mediterranean holiday. For the best views, walk to the charming red-and-white lighthouse that’s built on the water.
The wild Falkensteiner Ufer
If you want to feel like you’ve truly left the city behind, the beach at Falkensteiner Ufer is the place to go. The tranquil parks and hilly riverside lead down to a sandy shore and gorgeous views across the Elbe. It remains a relatively quiet place, with no large crowds and not a single beach club in sight. Some even say that the atmosphere here is reminiscent of the Frisian Islands.
The picturesque Elbstrand Wittenbergen
A little further downriver lies Wittenbergen beach, defined by a scenic red-and-white lighthouse jutting out above the treetops. Like the Falkensteiner Ufer, this is a more rural beach compared to those closer to the city center. Across the water, you have perfect views of the Neßsand island; created in the 1940s by excavating sand from the river, today it is a nature reserve, although the general public are not allowed access.
The maritime Schulauer Strand
Just outside of the city borders you’ll find the idyllic Schulauer beach. This location is perhaps best known for the Willkomm-Höft – a unique welcoming point for ships arriving at the port of Hamburg. The vessels are welcomed with a recording of their country’s national anthem and a greeting in their language, whereas visitors on the mainland can find out interesting facts about the passing ships thanks to the captains providing information over loudspeakers.
A word of caution
Enjoy your time on Hamburg’s gorgeous urban beaches but keep in mind that, while the water may look inviting, the River Elbe is not safe for swimming. The proximity to the sea means there are strong currents during the tides that are further reinforced by the shipping traffic. Enjoy the sun, the beach, and the atmosphere, but stay safe and keep clear of the water.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.