Berlin is a city where there is always something going on; from galleries, to parties and concerts, the city barely sleeps. Sure, that’s fun, but from time to time you might need a place to calm down. Check out our list of Berlin’s surroundings to discover a peaceful getaway just for you.
Potsdam is just a 25-minute ride from Berlin with the train, so get yourself a ticket and explore this wonderful city. It is full of charming, narrow streets with small boutiques and delicious cafés and restaurants; the Dutch district in particular is worth an extensive stroll. Go visit the old town hall, the old market, Potsdam’s own Brandenburger Tor and of course the Sanssouci Palace and Park.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Saarow Thermal Bath
The Saarow thermal bath is located 75 km outside of Berlin, and is easily reached by train or car. It is a place like no other for relaxing and getting rid of all the stress your daily life brings. Its direct location at the Scharmützel lake and its unique architecture makes the visit all the more picturesque rewarding. The thermal bath combines wellness, nature and health. It offers an actual bath, a sauna area, a sunbathing area in summer, wellness and beauty areas, and restaurants. If you have the time, stay for longer than a day; the salty air, which come from all the Pakistani salt stones, is a great boost for your health, and you’ll feel like you’re directly at the seaside.
Need some days off without anyone around you? Go book a houseboat at Bunbo. They offer their houseboats at seven different locations, five of them within easy reach of the city. Not only can you live on a well-equipped boat for a few days, including a cosy bed, a sofa and a fireplace for cold days, you can also drive around in the boat. After arriving you quickly learn how to navigate and steer the boat, and can explore the lakes and canals nearby, even within some parts of the city itself. Get some friends together or enjoy some romantic togetherness and book a trip.
When you are looking for a spontaneous, short vacation not far away, Spreewald might be the place for you. It is around 100 kilometres outside of Berlin and is easy to reach by car. And no, Spreewald is not only famous for its pickles, there’s a lot more to do there: the UNESCO biosphere reserve offers canoe and rafts trips, you can go hiking, rent a bike and have a bathe in one of the lakes. From hotels to camping sites – you can chose where you want to stay.
The Liepnitz Lake is one of the prettiest lakes around Berlin. It is a calm lake with its own island you can swim to. It also has a sandy beach, ferries, is very family friendly and most of all, the lake is not that crowded like many of the other lakes around Berlin. Here you can cool down and get a break from the summer heat in the city. Have a dip in the lake and enjoy some sunbathing and the summer. Of course you can get some proper French fries and ice cream here too; without that no trip to a lake would be complete. Liepnitz Lake is reachable by car within 45 minutes, with the train it takes a bit longer but it’s definitely worth the 90-minute ride.
You’ve already been to the Berlin zoo a few times? Why not try the Tierpark? You can easily go there with the U5 towards Hönow. The park is the biggest animal park in Europe with almost 8000 animals, and offers experiences for both children and adults. Moreover, they attach importance to the protection of their species, especially in their aquarium. As well as simply visiting the animals, you can learn how to feed and take care of them, as well as handling and petting. Obviously, the lions and tigers are out of bounds, but elephants, giraffes, penguins, monkeys and turtles are an adventure too, and well worth experiencing.
One of the most romantic getaways around Berlin is probably Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island). The island is a UNESCO world heritage site since 1990 and every Berlin tourist should visit at least once. No cars are allowed apart from those belonging to the inhabitants of the island, and you can only get there by ferry. The old castle and its gardens are inviting for a picnic, and it’s the perfect place for a first date or a special occasion. But it is not only a beautiful place in summer, when it’s covered in snow the area is probably even more magical.
A fantastic view over Grunewald is one of the best things Teufelsberg has to offer; the tower is the second highest platform in Berlin with a height of 1201 meters.. The old US listening station is open for visitors; it is more or less a mountain of ruins right now and the insides of the station is covered in graffiti, but it’s still a cool place to look at, and it gives the tower an old, abandoned touch which is characteristic for lots of places in Berlin. Besides visiting the old station, the place is popular for hiking, mountain biking, sunbathing and paragliding. If you’re looking for some sports outside the city, this is the right destination for you!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.