Augsburg rarely tops the travel wish lists of tourists from around the world, but it certainly deserves your time. It’s the oldest city in Bavaria and the second oldest in Germany, and when in Augsburg, you get the chance to explore a city that shaped the history of Europe and enjoyed a very wealthy past, a city with superb architecture, rich culture, and offerings for the entire family.
The world’s first housing complex
Fuggerei, the town within a town, is unique in two ways, and by itself is enough to make a trip to Augsburg worthwhile. Firstly, it’s the very first social housing complex in the world, and secondly, residents here pay a rent of just US$1 per year. Thanks to a contract drawn out by an immensely successful entrepreneur from these parts, the rent has remained the same for over five centuries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Something is always happening in Augsburg. In honor of the celebrated Mozart family, who called Augsburg their home for many years, the city hosts an outstanding Mozart Festival every year. Musicians and fans from all over the world converge in Augsburg to pay tribute to the legendary family, and every corner of the city resonates in their melodies. Also, every summer, the city celebrates a delightful youth pop culture gala for three days, marked by music, poetry, workshops, and discussions. The locals look forward with great anticipation to the folk festival Plärrer, which is held twice a year and features rides, parades, and great food.
Amazing ancient architecture
Augsburg’s skyline boasts a range of mindblowing historic architecture. The most significant among these are the 10th-century Perlach Tower that offers great views over the city, the 14th-century Weberhaus, with beautiful façade painting, the sprawling Renaissance Rathaus, and the remnants of ancient fortifications.
Enjoyable family time
Though it may not seem so at first glance, Augsburg is a good choice for a family holiday. Augsburg Railway Park promises hours of fascination for train-loving families, and children and adults alike are consistently delighted by the unbeatable range of puppets from all over the globe at Augsburger Puppentheatermuseum. Also, you can’t go wrong with a family day at Augsburg Zoo, one of the oldest zoos in Germany and home to over 1,600 creatures across 300 species.
Augsburg boasts a series of great museums to add a dose of culture to your holiday. The German Baroque Gallery and the State Gallery house an admirable collection of paintings by Holbein the Elder, Hans Burgkmair the Elder, and Albrecht Dürer, alongside artwork from the Middle Ages and early Renaissance. The Textil- und Industriemuseum traces the unprecedented flourishing of Augsburg’s textile industry in the 19th century and its subsequent downfall. After a visit to Maximilian Museum, you are bound to emerge wiser about the history, economy, culture, and politics of Augsburg. The Fugger und Welser Erlebnismuseum educates visitors about two famous sons of the soil who rose to become some of the most successful merchants in the history of the city. Internationales Maskenmuseum boasts a collection of over 4,000 masks from all over the world.
Tryst with nature
Eiskanal, the artificial white-water river built for the 1972 Olympics, is a wonderful spot to stroll, picnic, or swim in the midst of nature. The 25-acre (10-hectare) Botanical Gardens, the green lungs of Augsburg, are home to 3,000 species of plants, plus hundreds of thousands of greenhouse plants and various themed gardens. The most popular section of the botanical gardens is the Japan Gardens, done up in traditional Japanese style.
The simple, elegant 11th-century Augsburg Cathedral wows visitors with its huge bronze door made of 35 relief panels, beautiful decorations, and the oldest figural stained-glass windows in Germany. St. Ulrich’s and St. Afra’s Abbey is worth visiting for its rich gothic decor and the rare harmony of baroque and Renaissance styles of architecture.
Which are the most beautiful towns in Bavaria?
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.