Germans love sausages – nothing new about that. But did you know that there’s a seemingly endless list of sausage varieties? They differ in ingredients, methods of preparation, ways of eating and how they’re served. We’ve made a list of seven of the best sausage specialities from across the country.
If you had to name one typically German food, chances are that Currywurst would come straight to mind. Statistics show that Germans devour a mind-boggling 800 million ketchup-and-curry sprinkled sausages every single year and snack-shop and diner owners compete to come up with more and more ideas to make their Currywurst creations the best. The evolution of the speciality has reached a point where you can now get beat gold-decorated sausages in Berlin.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The popularity of this sausage speciality doesn’t stop at the borders of its state of origin, Thuringia, but instead claims one of the top ranking spots when it comes to a German’s favourite BBQ items. In fact, the 17th-century recipe is so good that it’s protected under EU law, just like other popular food items – Gouda cheese and champagne. Ground pork is seasoned with a mix of salt, pepper, cumin, marjoram and garlic and the lengthy sausages are then grilled over an open fire until the skin is brown and crispy.
If you’re headed to Bavaria, it’ll be next to impossible to avoid these white sausages. As a staple food in Bavarian kitchens, Weißwurst sausages are served all day round – as breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner items. Traditionally, minced veal and pork are mixed with onions, ginger, cardamom, parsley and lemon. To prepare them the stumpy sausages are scalded in water for up to 10 minutes. Professional Weißwurst fans use the ‘zuzel’ technique to devour the speciality which is a combination of biting the skin open and nibbling, sucking and pressing the meat out of it. Rookies are set to create an embarrassing mess and tend to just cut the skin open instead and then eat with a fork and knife.
Frankfurt’s most iconic sausages are made from pure pork and pressed into a sheep’s intestine which gives them the long, thin shape. The secret lies in carefully scolding the sausages for just five to ten minutes to prevent the skin from bursting. Once done, the no-fuss yet yummy sausages are served in a bun with a dab of mustard or alongside potato salad. You’ll often find them at birthday party buffets, markets or takeaway food stalls.
This chewy speciality requires a set of strong teeth. Widely popular in southern Germany, as well as Austria and Switzerland, the so-called Landjäger sausages are a go-to snack among outdoorsy people. The recipe varies from one butcher to the next, but they all share a few characteristics: the sausages are smoked, semi-dry, come in pairs, are pressed into a square shape and don’t need to be refrigerated.
There are a few different Mettwurst varieties but generally the recipe is based on raw minced pork and garlic, which is either preserved by smoking or curing; they are known for their strong flavour. While Mettwurst comes in the standard sausage shape, the meat is spreadable and a popular sandwich topping. Other types are smoked for a bit longer, are harder as a result and can be sliced up and pan-fried.
Leberwurst, or liver sausage, is a popular food in most of Europe. Recipes vary but mostly involve pig or calf liver, veal and a spice mix of black pepper, allspice, mustard seeds, marjoram, thyme and sometimes onion and extra bacon. You’ll see Leberwurst served as a sandwich topping both for breakfast and dinner.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.