From classical music in a stunning new concert hall to club nights on the notorious Reeperbahn, from world-famous musicals to rock gigs under the stars, Hamburg is Germany’s top destination for live music. Here’s a round-up of the city’s best live-music venues, so skip Berlin’s underground clubs and Munich’s beer halls and make Hamburg your music destination this year.
The dazzling Elbphilharmonie
The Elbphilarmonie – lovingly nicknamed ‘Elphi’ by locals – is one of the most unique concert halls in the world, both architecturally and acoustically. Nowhere in Germany can you experience large classical music concerts in such an intimate manner as in Elphi’s Grand Hall, where nobody in the audience sits further than 30 meters from the stage. The elegant Recital Hall is smaller and more classic in design, but no less exquisite in its acoustics and selection of performers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Elphi’s hidden secrets
Underneath the glittering glass facade of the Elbphilharmonie, in the bowels of the historic warehouse that serves as its base, hide the seven Kaistudios. The biggest of the studios serves as Elphilharmonie’s third (and smallest) concert hall, a special venue for listening to contemporary and experimental music. The remaining six studios are used for music education and rehearsals and are home to a very special museum – the World of Instruments – where kids and adults alike can try playing a tune.
Hamburg is the third biggest city for musicals in the world, beaten only by New York and London. Current shows include The Lion King, which has been delighting audiences young and old for over 15 years in a theatre on the bank of the River Elbe. A theatre next door houses a brand new addition to the city’s musical scene: the Broadway musical Mary Poppins. These and other musicals attract thousands of visitors every year, but be warned: the performances are exclusively in German.
Fabulous music festivals
Every year, Hamburg hosts several music festivals. The season kicks off with the Elbjazz Festival on the first weekend of June. Other highlights include the MS Dockville – an alternative festival of music and art taking place in August – and the Reeperbahn Festival in September, which is Germany’s biggest club festival and a place for music and digital industries to collaborate and showcase their work.
Unforgettable club concerts
While Reeperbahn Festival is the biggest live-music event in the city’s club scene, Hamburg’s clubs and bars offer excellent live performances all year round. The most popular destination is the St. Pauli district, home to iconic locations such as the Gruenspan and the Grosse Freiheit 36, with the adjacent Kaiserkeller. Nearby, in the more alternative and indie Sternschanze district, you’ll find popular concert locations such as the Kulturhaus 73 and the cult underground venue Astra Stube.
Great jazz clubs
Hamburg has a long love affair with jazz music, and venues across the city hold weekly jam sessions. The oldest jazz club – The Cotton Club – will be celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2019, and continues to host world-famous musicians. The Birdland is best known for its Thursday jam sessions and Speakeasy Wednesdays. A multitude of other clubs, bars, and event locations host regular live jazz concerts, keeping the city’s spirit scatting.
Live music under the open skies
Some of the city’s best live music can be listened to outdoors while enjoying a cold drink in the bright sunshine. The biggest outdoor venue, the legendary Stadtpark Open Air, has been hosting live concerts for over a hundred years in the middle of Hamburg’s best-loved park. Open-air concerts are also an integral part of the numerous street festivals that take place from the end of April to early September.
Music on the water
It should come as no surprise that one of Europe’s biggest ports is also the perfect place to enjoy live music on the water. Two of the most exciting places to experience a floating concert are the MS Stubnitz, a ship rebuilt as an alternative music, art, and performance space and the Feuerschiff, a former lightship transformed into a restaurant, hotel and a jazz club.
While the main attraction of Hamburg’s classical music scene is the Elbphilharmonie, the city has more to offer those who appreciate live music of the more orchestral or classical variety. The beautiful Laeiszhalle, built in 1908, is counted among the best concert halls in Europe, and regularly welcomes internationally renowned artists. Or check out the Kampnagel, Europe’s largest production centre for contemporary performing arts, which is known for its more experimental and modern approach to classical music performances.
World stars in grand venues
If you fancy something more mainstream, the Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg regularly hosts Grammy-award-winning artists such as Shakira, Justin Timberlake or U2. With a capacity of up to 16,000 people, this stadium experience is available almost every night of the week.
The birthplace of music
Unknown to some, Hamburg is famous as the birthplace of the Beatles’ fame. Allegedly, between 1960 and 1962, the young Beatles played more live music hours in the clubs of Hamburg than anywhere else in the world throughout their entire career. John Lennon once said: ‘I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg.’ Today the city is known for fostering musical talent and is home to up-and-coming performers such as Nena and Jan Delay, as well as bands like Scooter, Boy, and Tocotronic.
This branded content article was published as part of a commercial campaign that has now ended.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.