Winter is the perfect time for snuggling up, getting cosy and nestling into some romance. While Berlin isn’t exactly known for romance, the capital of hedonistic club culture has a softer side, and amid the Brutalist architecture and thumping techno, there are a number of wonderful places to warm up and date during the colder months. Here are the cosiest date ideas for Berlin’s winter.
Get festive at a Christmas market
As winter’s chill sets in, Berlin keeps warm with festive and traditional Christmas Markets and glühwein’s potent hug. Dotted around the city, these markets have been a German tradition since the middle ages. With a variety of stalls selling handcrafted gifts, traditional German food and festive drinks, these markets bring together Christmas joy and German customs. They’re an ideal place to wander round with a lover for the perfect winter date.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Is there anything more romantic than ice skating? This winter, strap on the skates and head outdoors to a number of rinks around the city, or head over to Horst-Dohm Ice Stadium in Charlottenburg, Berlin’s largest ice rink with 6.17 kilometres of space. At the 400-meter outdoor rink, couples can glide around a festively lit rink as they enjoy some fresh winter air.
Clärchens Ballhaus has been a Berlin date-night favourite for more than a century. Located in Mitte, many come for the cheap dance classes that range from salsa to cha-cha to swing. Start the evening off with a candlelit dinner at Spiegelsaal, a romantic 19th-century mirror room, or by enjoying a live set of traditional Russian music. Either way, it’s an elegant and unique date night that’ll keep you toasty in Berlin this winter.
Clärchens Ballhaus, Auguststraße 24, Berlin, Germany +49 30 2829295
Discover a new world of senses and dine in the dark at Berlin’s finest dark-restaurant. Nocti Vagus offers the dine-in-the-dark experience with a little twist. Its program ranges from spooky horror shows to crime mysteries and erotic literature readings, always paired with a fantastic four-course meal.
Nocti Vagus, Saarbrücker Straße 36, Berlin, Germany +49 30 74749123
Enjoy a cosy movie date
Berlin is filled with amazing, unique and arty cinemas or kinos. In the chill of winter, they offer the perfect refuge for a classic date-night favourite of catching the latest flick and enjoying some salty popcorn and beer.
What’s more German than getting to know someone over a beer? It’s a great casual date idea and Bier Shop in Moabit is the perfect spot. With regular tastings with a range of microbrews from across Europe, it’s a chance to bond over some truly special brews.
Bier Shop, Kirchstraße 23, Berlin, Germany +49 30 39100730
It doesn’t get much more intimate than relaxing in a sauna in one of Berlin’s many spas. Head over to Liquidrom and relax in plush white robes while sipping champagne, float in their salt-water techno pool or unwind in the many available saunas.
Berlin is filled with high cultural delights from the symphony to the opera, with plenty of luxury shows to bask in. While they can often come at a steep price, there are free alternatives. Head over to Salon Christophori for small, intimate classical piano and reading performances. Or, try the lunch concerts of the world-class Philharmonie, available every Tuesday at 1pm and always free.
As a thick layer of snow covers Berlin, there is nothing better to do than head out and play in it. Going sledding is the perfect, fun date and it can be completely free. Head over to Hasenheide and race down the hill with locals, or skip the wait for first snow fall at Potsdamer Platz’s Winter World, Europe’s largest snow tubing run.
Rugging up in your most comfortable winter gear and heading over to Berlin’s Christmas Garden is a wonderful date for the winter. During the festive season, the city’s Botanical Garden is transformed for Christmas, making it a wonderful place to simply walk around. Alternatively, couples can head to the infamous shopping street, Kurfürstendamm, where the tree-lined boulevard is adorned with fairy lights and huge light structures from early November until early January.
Botanisches Museum, Königin-Luise-Straße 6-8, Berlin, Germany +49 30 83850100
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.