Germany has a very specific cuisine, and one that may seem an acquired taste. But for all their love of meat, potatoes and sauces, their dishes are certainly hearty and delicious. While you may not be surprised to find lots of sausage on this list, there may be a few surprises.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Currywurst is a matter of national pride for Berliners. There’s even a museum in its honour. On every street, you can be sure to find a place where this cheap, humble grilled sausage is served. The secret is in the sauce; a combination of the three key ingredients ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and curry powder. The combo dates back to 1949 when Herta Heuwer poured the ingredients she got from some British soldiers over grilled sausage.
Welcome vegetarians. This Swabian speciality originally from the area around Stuttgart is Germany’s take on pasta. The dough consists of eggs, flour, salt and a hint of fizzy water. It’s generally served topped with mountains of quality cheese adding flavour and texture.
These meatballs take their name from the Prussian city of their origin, and are a hearty and tender favourite for Berliners. The dish can be prepared using various ingredients, including ground veal, beef, pork, onions, eggs, anchovies and flour, before being cooked in a broth. Once again, it’s the sauce that have given them glory status, a creamy mixture with capers and lemon.
This is probably Germany’s most international dish, and with a delicious tender and crispy taste, it’s not difficult to imagine why. The most famous version of Schnitzel has to beWiener Schnitzel, which is a thinly sliced piece of veal-meat, covered with flour, egg and bread crumbs and then deep fried in oil or a lot of butter until it turns golden on the outside. These days it can also be made pork, chicken breast and even soya meat, though always served with potatoes.
This sausage is the reigning king of the German barbecue, especially the short and thin ones which hail from Nürnberg. Grill your Bratwurst for a few minutes on each side, stick it in a bun, add some ketchup and mustard and volia! (Although no German around the barbeque would ever dare use the French expression). Still, the iconic Bratwurstsemmel is now ready to be devoured.
Who would have thought that the Germans were so into their pasta? Maultaschen is another kind of pasta filled with all kinds of stuffing from pork to beef to vegetables. These pasta pockets are either boiled or fried.
Invented in 1889 by a local restaurant owner who added pork to the classic veal bratwurst mix, today’s bockwurst is really just a mish mash of different meats stuffed into a sausage form. We hear there’s even a fish-only version.
Eisbein, or pork knuckles are a beloved classic unique to the city of Berlin. The meat is usually boiled or grilled, and comes served with sauerkraut, peas and potatoes. Seeing one of these enormous knuckles on a plate is reminiscent of medieval banquets.
This is the dish your grandmother would have served you. It is the equivalent of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for young Berliners. It’s simple and to the point and you must enjoy mustard to enjoy this dish. Senfeier are literally ‘mustard eggs’ – hard-boiled and served with mashed spuds, all covered in a creamy mustard sauce.
Okay so technically this dish is of Turkish origin but while you might not find them all over Germany, you can’t go a block without finding a kebab shop in Berlin. It’s pretty much a traditional dish in the city, and not just with Berlin’s massive Turkish population. Meat and salad stuffed inside a wrap, perfect for any time of the day, especially when you’re short on time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.