Good news! Georgia is an all-year-round destination. For a moderately small country, its climate is very diverse, with the Caucasus Mountains and the Black Sea playing a role. Every season here has its perks. Spring is mild and sunny, with a few rainy days in April. Summer is hot, especially in the capital. Autumn is similar to spring, but a bit colder, while winter is snowy pretty much everywhere except Tbilisi. In this guide, we will show you what the best parts of each season are and the best activities to compliment the weather.
Interested in visiting Georgia? Now, you can do so with Culture Trip as part of a small group of like-minded travellers on our specially curated nine-day Georgia tour.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mid-April and May is the best time to visit Georgia in the spring. During this time the rainy weeks have passed, and the weather is warm and sunny. At night, there is a soft breeze that blows through the country.
Spring is the time when the country celebrates many holidays. You might want to plan your trip around Easter in particular. The Easter holiday here falls either in April or May. Georgians use the Orthodox Calendar, so their Easter is two weeks after the Catholic holiday. For 2018 the Easter holiday will fall on April 6-9, but as it’s a movable feast, make sure to double check.
Another date of interest is May 26, our Independence Day. Watch the Parade on Rustaveli Avenue, visit the stalls of the ministries, and try local products from farmers and small enterprises.
Summer months in Georgia are dry and hot. July and August months can get quite hot in the capital, with temperatures from 77 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit (25-40 degrees Celsius). However, the temperature is lower in the rest of the country.
July and August are the best months to hike the highlands and mountain regions of Georgia, as well as visit the coastal city of Batumi to swim in the Black Sea. Note that this period is also quite humid in this part of the country.
In the summertime, Georgia also hosts concerts and traditional festivals, such as Open Air, Art-Gene, Black Sea Jazz Festival, and many other weekend events for party lovers.
The country at this time of the year is getting colder, but it becomes painted with multi-colored trees and frost-covered grounds. Similar to spring, autumn is typically characterized as the wet season with the weather conditions changing quite often. Thus, be prepared for warm and colder days.
One of the best things to do during this time of the year in Georgia is to hike in the lowlands and various mountain ranges for picturesque landscapes. Visit the coast to catch the last warm days in September, and more importantly, participate in the vintage season and harvest some wine grapes.
Winter in Georgia is cold and snowy. The temperature drops to 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit (2-4 degrees Celsius) and even falls below zero in some parts of the country. If you love visiting snow-covered cities, then Tbilisi would be a disappointment. It rarely snows there, and when it does, the snow melts in a couple of days leaving behind muddy streets. However, you can go to other parts of the country for beautiful snow-capped slopes and enchanted forests.
The best thing to do in the winter is to visit ski resorts and indulge in sports activities. Ski season here lasts until April.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.