Visiting a new country and wandering through the streets of its big cities is exciting and exhilarating. However, if you are a nature lover or like to have a unique experience, you’d want to get rid of the city hustle and get lost in the wildness for a couple of days. Luckily, Georgia has plenty of places to do exactly that as our list reveals.
Conquer the mountains
I certainly don’t mean the high peaks of the Caucasus, but Georgia is a very mountainous region offering numerous opportunities for those who love hiking and spending two-three days in nature. Here, you can hike in National Parks or from one remote mountainous area to another; the possibilities are endless. And don’t worry if you are a beginner, those hiking trails suit everyone – newbies, amateurs, and professionals. All you need is the correct hiking shoes and a strong will.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fish in the lakes
Another way to get off the grid in Georgia is to go fishing in the country’s various lakes. You can fish for free in several lakes in Georgia, such as Sioni Reservoir, Shaori Lake and River Dzirula. But note that you might try a whole day and not catch a thing. Thus, there are a couple of private entities which guarantee you’ll land a fish. Try out Ziari, Debeda and Lopota lakes.
Try out rafting
Looking for some extreme adventure and adrenaline? Try out white water rafting on the five rivers of Georgia. The season starts from mid-April and lasts until mid-October. The most popular months are May and June when water reaches its highest levels. And if you are a beginner, you might want to book the following months: July, August, and September.
Tur or deer-watching in Lagodekhi
Lagodekhi Protected Areas, located in the north-eastern part of the southern slopes of the Caucasus, is one of the world’s best-preserved national parks with diverse flora and fauna. The area is home to the East Caucasian tur, chamois, and red deer. If your eyes are not used to spotting the animals in their natural habitat, it might be difficult for you to see any. But for an additional cost, you can hire a guide at the administrative center of the park.
Ride a boat on Paliastomi Lake
Kolkheti National Park is one of the most important national parks of the country. The main attraction here is a boat tour on Lake Paliastomi and river Pichori gorge to explore breathtaking lakeshore scenery, secondary wet meadows, tall thickets of bulrush and thick cover of royal fern. Besides this, you can observe migratory birds from the birdwatching tower, some of which are rare species that seek out a safe place to settle.
Birdwatch in Javakheti Protected Areas
Javakheti Protected Areas boasts lakes, sub-alpine and alpine meadows and unique swamps. From the birdwatching towers, you can watch up to 140 species of nesting and migrating birds throughout the year. However, the best period is from April until October.
Besides birdwatching you can hike up the seven trails of the area, or enjoy horse riding or mountain biking.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.